How to plastidip rear valance?

When I did my rear valence I used painters tape and newspaper. For some reason I didn't even think to pull off the tape before it dried, but even though I pulled it off after, I took my time taping it and used a razor blade/exacto knife as I peeled off the tape and it looks perfect. Might need a touch up in a few months I only did 2-3 coats

so, my friend, either try using a razor but be careful not to cut your bumper, or peel it off and re apply. taping is everything!

I thought you can peel off the rough edges? Just rub it with your fingers around the edge and it will look cleaner.

Went in with a razor and cleaned it up. I think it looks much better now. Also did the badges...not sure if I like the look will feel it out. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Went in with a razor and cleaned it up. I think it looks much better now. Also did the badges...not sure if I like the look will feel it out. Thoughts?

I like the emblems in Plastidip! B/W is contrasting nicely, and if you end up painting the trim strip as well it would offset everything nicely.

That's an OEM Mazda accessory you could purchase from the dealer, rear bumper guard. My P5 had one, I remember installing it after scratching the bumper when the car was brand new. Covered the scratches perfectly and prevented any future damage.

I like the black emblems, I rocked a similar setup years ago with my P5. You should look for a Mazda6 wagon wiper arm, that was one of my favorite mods.

Last edited:
Well since we're all posting ass pics...

image_zps3e797386.jpg

kinda old, bumper pad is black now too. not faded and looking like s***...

but all of that is plastidip, except i cut out the red "5" in protege5

need more dark on my tail lights... been meaning to do another coat of night shades for a while now, just too lazy to cut out circles lol

oh and i also found pics, this is how i did my valence. i wish i found these earlier for you

Before:
image_zps1f37b14f.jpg

After:
image_zpsb45b038f.jpg

Yeah, leaning toward that and maybe a clear over it..............but if I get tired of it the plastidip is removable.

I just joined this forum to find pics of exactly this. Im about to embark on the same journey, Plastidipping rear molding, trim and emblems. Im glad it looks so good and the tips on this thread are great. Thanks for the pics and tips guys.

I have the step protector, will be doing the valance & also just purchased another hatch trim piece with the keyhole filled that will become black as well. Gonna leave the emblems and license plate frame chrome for time being.

Back