How-To: MS6 Clutch adjustment

Hey guys didn't read the whole how to, but is this basically a fix, to reduce the distance to the friction point of the clutch?

thanks

apparently you didn't even read your own post in this thread from last year?

yeah. it moves the engagement point closer to the floor and takes away the sloppy feel.

apparently you didn't even read your own post in this thread from last year?

yeah. it moves the engagement point closer to the floor and takes away the sloppy feel.

lol thanks ya i figured some1 would've spotted that, but to be honest i was never 100% sure hehehehe,

thanks again

I know the 07's already have the updated or adjusted clutch, but does this change the feel of even that? Because I still feel like my clutch is rough. Or is it just the nature of the car?

This fix does not, nor does it intend to fix roughness. As it has been said before, it just shortens the travel and lowers the catch point.

well i have been a speed 6 owner for a week now .. WOW a great car !! just did the clutch adjustment thing.. it really makes a differance !! i didnt think it really would.. super kool.. well lots of great info on this forum.. thanks guys.. !!
do you guys shut the traction controle off when you launch ?? or drive hard ??
thanks !!!

well i have been a speed 6 owner for a week now .. WOW a great car !! just did the clutch adjustment thing.. it really makes a differance !! i didnt think it really would.. super kool.. well lots of great info on this forum.. thanks guys.. !!
do you guys shut the traction controle off when you launch ?? or drive hard ??
thanks !!!

welcome to the boards. theres a thread around here somewhere regarding the DCS and launching, but basically the DCS uses the brakes to regulate wheel spin, so to get the best launch, you want that off. i typically just leave it on, but i'm no racer.

Okay guyz finally after months of questioning wether or not i should do this mod I DID IT, and i freakin LOVE IT! it feels like it should be driven like this...

one question though, is it normal that like have way down when i press the clutch it feels "flappy" (for lack of a better word) like soft...?

thanks again guys, i love this forum~

Okay guyz finally after months of questioning wether or not i should do this mod I DID IT, and i freakin LOVE IT! it feels like it should be driven like this...

one question though, is it normal that like have way down when i press the clutch it feels "flappy" (for lack of a better word) like soft...?

thanks again guys, i love this forum~

Do you mean like, maybe you left too much free play? Or do you mean, like the clutch wiggles around, like left to right? I imagine you might just have a little too much free play?

like empty from top to center then friction almost right away when i lift the clutch. but no worries i love it like that, quicker shifting....

i have done this to my clutch several times and undone it everytime. When i adjust it lower to the floor so it engages at a lower point, the gears always feel really rough going in. The only reason i can imagine this happens is that im overadjusting to the point where even when i floor the clutch its not completely disengaged, but im fairly certain im not because when i adjust it is very miniscule. has anyone else experienced a similar problem??

I finally did this adjustment over the weekend as well. I settled on 2.5 turns and it seems to be perfect. It REALLY improves the shifting experience and driveability in general...the clutch on this car was really the only thing I couldn't ever bring myself to love. It was tolerable but sometimes a real pain. I have an 07 MS6 so I was a bit skeptical at first...it seems most have done this to the 06. But it worked just the same.

Badfish, I'm not sure what you're experiencing but I would recommend adjusting the stop bolt in gradually and keep backing out the actuator rod a little bit each time. You might actually be backing the actuator out too much...when Antoine says to leave a pubic hair of space between the actuator and the piston (and thus a small amount of free play) he means it. I'm no expert and/or mechanic, but just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the detailed how-to and everyone's input...this will make my daily commute much more enjoyable! Oh and I have a white spring...

Omg

(bow) I THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!! my clutch went from poop to gold in minutes MAD PROPS on the write up!!!!!!!!!(wow)

Works great!!! - need to tweak just a tad more...

Also - can I share this link/info with other Mazda forum users - I am not taking credit for any of this, just to help out other mazda owners and would like permission first...

Thanks!

anyone in NJ/NY capable of doing this to my car for a case of beer and the gratification of a friendly but enthusiastic bull terrier, please let me know. i cant afford another shop visit for a while. and the clutch sticks out like a sore thumb now that the shifter has been replaced and bushings in.

anyone in NJ/NY capable of doing this to my car for a case of beer and the gratification of a friendly but enthusiastic bull terrier, please let me know. i cant afford another shop visit for a while. and the clutch sticks out like a sore thumb now that the shifter has been replaced and bushings in.

No reason a shop has to do this. Are you afraid of working on your vehicle? That's the purpose, to explain how you can complete this yourself.

You don't have a 12 mm wrench and a flashlight? You should at least keep a couple wrenches around the house!!! You never know when something might come up you will need them!

no tools.

So go to Sears and buy a small mechanic's tool set. Should be able to pick one up for $50-75 easily.

This isn't just a 'move it once and enjoy' type mod. You need to fine tune it to what YOU want. Take the money you'd spend on labor at a shop and get some tools and do it yourself, you'll feel better after you're done.

Last edited:
Back