How to: (kind of) My Passport 8500 install

def_one

:
2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT
Ive been asked by a couple guys for a how-to on my Passport 8500 install. Im not going to go super into detail about how to wire it, as thats pretty straight forward. This is more or less a bunch of photos from the install of the remote unit. I had done it before on my last car, and its pretty easy once you see how its done :)

I start with one of these bad boys (direct wire kit)
direct6.jpg

Basically pull off the sticker, grind down the front so its smooth like this:
det01.jpg

Pull out that little panel where the +12V port is, this is the back side, note the ridges:
det02.jpg

Gotta work those down to a smooth surface, as well as drill your holes for the button and lights (the scary part):
det03.jpg

This is the only part thats kind of ghetto rigged, theres no real good way to attach the remote unit aside from glue, so thats what I did:
det04.jpg

Heres what it looks like from the front:
det05.jpg

Put the sticker back on from the original unit:
det06.jpg

And reinstalled:
det07.jpg

And where the radar detector lives:
det08.jpg

(drinks) Finish with a beer

real clean, i have an 8500 as well, where'd you get the hardwire kit from and how easy was it running those wires?

Looks great, I have an 8500 and I was thinking of doing EXACTLY what you did. Glad you did it first and put up the write up so I can see what it looks like before I do it. Thanks!

What is that mudule (lights and button) for that you installed in the center console if the radar detector is up by the mirror?

Great write up, just did this tonight but too bad my dashhawk is in the place where the smart cord would have been, so I just left it in the ashtray - concealed -

How was it running the wires along the A-pillar?

It's really easy to do.
You slightly pull on the pillar to allow it to pop out a little then tuck the wires in there and then just run the wires across the headliner and just tuck them in there.

Thanks for the kind words guys. The direct wire kit is available all over the internet.

Ya the weirdest thing about running the power up the A-Pillar is seeing the airbags up there. Kinda freaky. I ran the wire on the back side of the airbag, and crossed under it to go under the headliner.

Back