How to kill output before going into Bose amp?

eyeguy

:
'02 P5
This is going to sound a little odd, but a friend with a G35 wants me to install a bluetooth handsfree system in his car. I've located the correct wiring harness from England, but since his car is running a Bose amp, I need to drop the output coming from the handsfree system (it's designed to mute the stereo and route the call through the speakers in the car) before it hits the amp. Is there anything I can run inline between the handsfree and the amp to drop the wattage the amp sees? I've been out of the car audio game for a while, so forgive my ignorance.

I'm guessing you would be better off connecting the handsfree system after the amplifier since that is how it is designed to work. Try posting at www.carsound.com. They have some professional installers that do this sort of thing all the time.

If I wired it after the amp wouldn't I just be pumping more power to the speakers? I'll give the site you listed a shot. Thanks

Maybe I don't understand your problem. When the hands-free unit kicks in, is it too loud or too soft? Does the hands-free unit put out a line-level output or speaker-level output?

If you connect the hands-free unit between the head unit and amplifier, the amplifier will make the signal louder. If you connect the hands-free unit between the amplifer and the speakers, you take the amplifier out of the loop for the hands-free signal and it won't be as loud.

You might be right about bypassing the amp. I haven't tried to install the piece yet but from what I've heard it just can't be done because the amp would produce too much sound. It does sound reasonable though that bypassing the amp would work. I'm curious about the ohm rating of the speakers giving me a problem. I think most Bose car speakers are rated at 1/2 ohm.
My other thought is to run a LOC inline and adjust the output as needed if possible.

I highly doubt they are a 1/2 ohm. Most car audio speakers are between 8 ohms and 4ohms with some subwoofers coming in at 2ohms.

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. For some reason I thought I read they had a low ohm rating. Of course this was for my Miata. Who knows what Infiniti uses.

I'm pretty sure Bose uses a odd ohm rating to get more power out the amp. I'm pretty sure the BOSE system in the Mazda 6 were 3 ohm speakers. Most likely similar to the miata.

I just looked at a Bose repair site and they state most speakers are 1 or 2 ohm speakers. Maybe if I bypass the amp and turn the volume all the way down from the bluetooth I can get it to work. I think I'll use a LOC first and see if that works. I wish the company that sells this stuff would make wiring harnesses for all cars. They're intended for European cars with ISO plug ins.

Back