How To: JDM Style Front Upper Grill

Re: My upper lip

90210brandon said:
Just showing ya'll what I did. Thanks again Kid.
P5-grill2.bmp
Here's mine...

90210brandon said:
It's easy to do. The more time you spend getting to the clips the less probability of breaking the clips. It took me a half hour to take it off. Painting it, same thing, the more time, the better it turns out. Good luck.

lol, ok...maybe i need to go out and actually look....is it self-explanatory once i do that?? cuz i am still not sure how to go about taking it off

Dreeza said:
HAHAHA thats great...do they make duct tape in laser blue????

No but they do make electrical tape in a very close color. In fact I have some at work.

JTP said:
No but they do make electrical tape in a very close color. In fact I have some at work.

lol, send me some of that stuff!!!

jk...seriously though...any tips on taking it off, i tried looking at it, and i just didnt know how to go about pulling it off

Woohoo....did this mod without breaking any clips! I was afraid that the yellow strip wouldn't match...but they matched up perfectly.

Snacks McGee said:
Woohoo....did this mod without breaking any clips! I was afraid that the yellow strip wouldn't match...but they matched up perfectly.

alright..HOW'd ya do it???

and what paint do i get???

Dreeza said:
alright..HOW'd ya do it???

and what paint do i get???

You just got to work at it real slow. I used a flat head screwdriver and wedged and pulled more horizontally than vertically.

I ordered my paint from Levine Paint and Auto Supply for $25 bucks :eek: . But they matched the paint perfectly....here's the site if you want to check it out.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/spraycanofto.html

I just followed the directions....sand...few layers of primer...sand again... and 5 coats of yellow paint. Real easy...and subtle but great results.

Snacks McGee said:
You just got to work at it real slow. I used a flat head screwdriver and wedged and pulled more horizontally than vertically.

I ordered my paint from Levine Paint and Auto Supply for $25 bucks :eek: . But they matched the paint perfectly....here's the site if you want to check it out.

I just followed the directions....sand...few layers of primer...sand again... and 5 coats of yellow paint. Real easy...and subtle but great results.

whoa, 25 for everything! awesome...thanks, ill look into that

Just got done doing mine... and NO broken clips! (yippy) Other than a little orange peel from the clear coat, it looks pretty good. Used the paint from Levine...

Snacks McGee said:

i now join the jdm crew or something...

oh and here is a before shot
523421_41_full.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00450.JPG
    DSC00450.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:
hey myndfi3ld, does any light show through since you color keyed your amber side markers? looks pretty good.

Well.. a tiny bit did, but I took the bulbs out. If it wasn't such a pain to get in there and pop them out to put bulbs in, I would so you could see it. But in the daylight you could see a little light coming through.. veery little though.

hey kid, you are aware that the edm/jdm apperture is not silver but chrome like the mazda emblem :) ?

TStar said:
hey kid, you are aware that the edm/jdm apperture is not silver but chrome like the mazda emblem :) ?
ok ok, so it's not JDM style. let us have our fun :)

It's more of a mazdaspeed protege style.

ahhaha.okaaay... hm, but the "problem" could be easily solved.. just use some chrome paint from the DIY store... no more expensive than the normal paint and voila .. you got your jdm/edm

TStar said:
ahhaha.okaaay... hm, but the "problem" could be easily solved.. just use some chrome paint from the DIY store... no more expensive than the normal paint and voila .. you got your jdm/edm
I've never seen chrome paint work. Not on plastic.. it just comes out silver. I'd rather have it color matched than chrome (though now it looks a bit dumb with the CF hood).

Back