Contributor
:
'07 Mazda3, True red
HOW TO: install short shifter

Short Shifter Installation Walk-through

Source: http://mazdaprotege.net/tech/howto/shifter/
Written by: Wil Fellows (Gro Harlem)
Estimated Time: 01:30
This article walks you through removing your OEM shifter and re-installing it with a aftermarket short shifter. (IT WILL WORK FOR MP3'S!)

NOTE: The pictures below illustrate me replacing the SUPER long throw stock 1st gen (2nd gen is the same as well) shifter with a 3rd generation lever which shortens the throw by about 1-2" and shrinks the total side-to-side area.

All Mazda Protege aftermarket shifter levers will fit any generation. There are currently two (2) models available for the Protege: Pacesetter adjustable ($80), and B&M non-adjustable ($140). The Pacesetter uses a plastic ball that screws onto the lower portion of the lever, which makes its legnth adjustable. It comes with a pair of plastic bushings, the chrome lever, silicone grease, new rubber boot, and a hex screw to tighten down the plastic pivot-ball. The B&M comes with a lever with a built in assembly. It replaces your OEM o-rings with a bronzeoil pivot-ball inside of an aluminum housing. It has two rubber o-rings that you squeeze into your shifter housing. The aftermarket Bronezoil Bushings DO NOT fit the Pacesetter, so DO NOT use them (i found this out the hard way). Only use the plastic bushings for the pacesetter unit. The Bronzeoil shifter bushings WILL WORK for the OEM Shifter lever and the B&M lever. I took some pictures of the difference in 90-98 shift levers (one on right) to the 99-02 lever (middle) with a picture of the pacesetter lever (shift knob not included). I also took a picture of the different bushings (pacesetter on far left, bronzeoil in middle, oem on right). You can see why using oem or bronzeoils on the pacesetter could be problematic, since they are different sizes.

Tools you will need:

(2) 12mm wrenches
Philips Head Screwdriver
Flat Head Screwdriver
Retaining-Clip Tooll (2nd/3rd gen only)
Silicone Grease
Paper Towels
Floor-Jack & Stands or Ramps Installation Instructions:

1: Jack vehicle up and securely lower onto jackstands

spicyzoomzoom: As an alternate to taking out the console. you can remove the shift knob and boot to get to the snap ring in question.
first you remove the shift surround by pulling the cupholders gently up and back.

then you remove the shift knob by unscrewing to the left.
locate the 8 places the shift boot is held in by slits in the boot and tabs on the retainer.

the front and back are fairly easy to see and remove. the sides look the same but are a little harder to get to (unless you have small hands around) you can pull the boot back to the knob once you removed the front (and forward for the rear) go inside the retainer and find the tabs. pull down gently and to the side you are removing. they should come right out.

you are now where you have to be to get to the snap ring.... without the pain of removing your whole console. Skip to step 6 if you chose to do it this way.

2: Unscrew two screws near back of center armrest
3: Unscrew two middle screws of center armrest
4: Unscrew two screws on side of center console peice
5: Unscrew shiftknob and remove it from lever. Remove console
6:

2nd/3rd gen: Use the retaining-clip tool to squeeze the retaning-clip, with your other hand, use the flathead to pry out the retaining-clip. (Since I worked on a 1st gen pro, i used a screwdriver to pry out the spring, but you could use a screwdriver on your MP3 if you like)
popspring1_thumb.jpg

7: Wipe off spring/retaining-clip with paper towel (it should be greasy) and place in a safe place. If you lose it, it will be a pain to drive without and its not a easy thing to replace.
popspring2_thumb.jpg

8: Slide under the car, and locate the shifter lever's bottom
shiftlinkage_thumb.jpg

9: Using the two 12mm wrenches, firmly loosen the bolt and nut that is threaded through the bottom of the lever.
loosenbolt1_thumb.jpg

10: Slide the bolt through the shifter and bushings and remove it from the linkage arm and place both the nut and bolt in a safe place! (your car will be undriveable without them!)
loosenbolt2_thumb.jpg

11: Get back inside your car and carefully pull out the lever assembly.
pullleverout_thumb.jpg

12: Woo Hoo! Lever removed! Be careful not to get too much of that nasty grease on your hand..it doesn't come off easy :-(
13: take the top white O-ring off the lever, and CAREFULLY push the bottom white O-ring off as illustrated. I broke mine when removing my lever on my white car which doesn't affect much, but it isn't a good thing ;-).
snapofforing_thumb.jpg

GroHarlem6: 14: If you have the B&M, BE CAREFUL with taht boot, since they don't supply you with another one (Pacesetter does, at least for my kit they did). There are two different lengths on the bottom linkage hole (that the bushings go into). After removing the bushings, push the boot inside out and then stretch the bottom part over the shorter length linkage hole (as illustrated). You might have to stretch the boot back and forth to increase its elasticity.
removeboot_thumb.jpg

15: After removing the boot, take that lever and chuck it in the trash!! (well thats your choice). After cleaning off the white O-rings, spring, bushings, and boot (you don't have to, but why reuse that nasty grease if you have new stuff?). Re-install them onto the new lever. If your installing the Pacesetter, its a LOT easier if you just put the bottom O-ring and rubber boot in place, then screw the plastic pivot-ball in, then place the top O-ring on top of that. B&M shifter users: skip this step since your housing is built into the lever
howreinstall_thumb.jpg

16: Push the old boot (or new) onto the new lever. If you have the B&M shifter, you might want to grease the boot and bottom of the lever so it slides on without teaing. Pacesetter shifter's don't even need this step, if you just remove the pivot ball and install the boot first, then the O-ring, then re-install the pivot ball. After the boot is on, put the bushings back in.
bootresinstall_thumb.jpg

17: Grease the new lever's pivot-ball up really good! B&M users DO NOT grease the inside of the aluminum housing since the bronzeoil pivot-ball self-lubricates itself. DO use the grease to grese the hell out of the rubber O-rings on the outside of the aluminum housing as it IS A VERY TIGHT FIT to get that thing back in there.
greasedup_thumb.jpg
18: Take the lever back into your car and shove it into the shifter-lever housing. B&M users, you will need to put all your weight into pushing the aluminum housing in there. It is a super tight fit.
placedin1_thumb.jpg

After pushing the lever in place, make sure it is angled the right way so you don't install it backwards on the next step

19: Place the retaining-clip ring into the retaining-clip tool and sqeeze it back into place. You might need to use both hands to snap it into place (it takes longer than the spring but isn't too bad).

20: Get back underneath the car. Shove the bolt through the linkage-arm and lever-arm and tighten the nut. Don't overtighten because you could make the shifter feel super stiff if you do. but don't go too lax either, then there will be too much play and it will feel very sloppy.
loosenbolt1_thumb.jpg

21: Get back inside car, and re-install the center console. Screw them into place, screw teh shift knob back on, and lower the car.......
22: Drive around for awhile! You'll be amazed at the difference in feel and throw!!!!

thats it

Last edited:
Uh, The photos are gone?

Hey! This is my first post!

I love this Forum, This is the best place for info on the P5. My White 2002 P5 just hit 12,500.00!!!

Anyway, back to business:

The pics for the directions on how to install my new Kart Boy are just little "X"s - The pics would REALLY help.....

Is there anyway to get them back??

Thanks a bunch, now I'll shut up and search for "Springs"

i just installed the kartboy short shifter today. It feels good driving it, but i have a few questions. First, where can I get a smaller shift boot for it because the stock one is waaaaay to big and second, I think the bottom fo the shifter is hitting the heat shield when i shift. Has that happened to anyone? What can I do if it is hitting?? any suggestions? thanks

check out TWM perfomances web site. There is an instruction pdf file there that include a spacer just for that problem. The spaces can probably be found at a local hardware store. i would of uploaded the pdf but the file is to large for here.

I just installed the Kart Boy shifter and bushings about a week ago. I just bent the heat shield down some more - it's really easy.

Does anyone know the torque settings for the bolt at the bottom of the shifter? and the Bushings nut/bolt?

Thanks,
SpookyP5
:p

What does a retaining clip tool look like? do they come in different sizes? where do i get one. Will be installing my shifter this weekend.

i will be intstalling mine this weekend, if i ever get my car back from the dealer. i have the kartboy. I was wondering if anyone knows what size washers i should get to put under the heat sheild?

Just installed Kartboy Shifter/Bushings

Took it around for a drive, feels great!!! Thanks for the directions, they were very clear.

The job was extremely easy, but I could imagine how much trouble it could be without the retaining ring pliers.

The only screw up I had was with the heat shield. I got 3 oversized nuts to use as spacers and bought some longer bolts. Problem was they weren't the same size, a little little too big. I thought I could just thread it through and the screw's housing inside the body detached!!:mad: So my bolt was stuck there with the 3 nuts and it was loose. I'm going to try to fix that sometime later (it won't fall off for now) but for now I shoved some washers (the kind that have a gap) where there was give.
I should've just bent the heatshield.

With the bushings I got impatient with my stock one and just cut it out.

Anyway, thanks Kartboy for the stickers and rub on tatoos:) , oh and the shifter and bushings are awesome too.:D :D :D

I've been shopping around for short shifters for my P5 and I think this thread will help immensely.

Only problem - I'm uncomfortable with getting under the car and messing with things down there.

I'm a relative novice in fixing/maintaining cars. I've done some engine work including a thermostat, battery, and I installed my own intake with some encouragement from people on this board.

Any advice or thoughts? I don't have jack stands or whatever, but I do have two metal ramps - should I drive my car on to those ramps and just get to it?

andy_guerriero...

Yes!! Use your ramps!

I wish I had ramps when I installed my Kartboy shifter and bushings.

With a Jack, the problem I found is that there is no place to put it under the car! I down loaded a few pics someone posted on here that showed the proper placement for a jack at the front - the problem is that there is a very thin peice of metal in the way. When I put my jack on that, the whole thing started to bend.

As to installing the shifter, it was actually easy. My recommendations:

Get a very good Retaining Ring/clip Pliers. This will cut ALOT of time in getting the stock shifter out.

A good torque wrench that is in the range of 5ft/lbs to 100ft/lbs+. I torqued the bolt that holds the bushings at about 18ft/lbs.

In closing, it is easy! I am like you in that I am not a mechanic/gear head, but I have done the Thermostat/water pump replacement type of work. If you can do that stuff, don't worry.

By the way, what intake did you install?:)

SpookyP5
:p

I just installed the Kartboy short shifter and bushings...the bushings made a big difference but to be honest I didn't feel much of a difference with the throw of each shift...which kind of blows...

In addition, my mechanic told me that he had to lower the exhaust a little bit to install my short shifter....to top it all off, I heard from someone here that our stock shifter knobs (MP3) were compatible with the Kartboy lever...well, that was NOT the case...

What the ****?? I am having a real bad ******* day...

Cameleon3 said:
I just installed the Kartboy short shifter and bushings...the bushings made a big difference but to be honest I didn't feel much of a difference with the throw of each shift...which kind of blows...

In addition, my mechanic told me that he had to lower the exhaust a little bit to install my short shifter....to top it all off, I heard from someone here that our stock shifter knobs (MP3) were compatible with the Kartboy lever...well, that was NOT the case...

What the ****?? I am having a real bad ******* day...

you don't have to lower the exhaust, you have to move the heatshield above the exhaust, just a tad. The MP3s are equipped with a stock short shifter, I know the B&M shifter is a whole lot better, than it, but I don't know how the kartboy shifter compares. It was built off testing on a p5.

This day really ******* sucks..I am not happy AT ALL!!...Seems as though I spent a s*** load of money for nothing.....

i put my kartboy shifter on my mp3 and bushings. I agree the throw on the mp3 isnt change to much. you just have to bend the heatsheild down.

Over all the install is real easy. took about 45 mins if that. I bought a pair of retaining ring pliers for 13$ at sears hardware. The mp3 knob wont fit the shifter. but... if you would have specified kartboy would have made you a shift threaded to the MP3 knob. (thats what i did). Oh an about the ramps. be careful ramps put a nice scrath in my front fender. my car is too low so my front hit before the tires started going up the ramps and it twisted sideways and put a lil scratch in my car. Also make sure you have the silcone grease. Study how you take your stock shifter out, because the install of the new one is the same thing.

Maybe I got myself to hyped up but damn..I truly don't feel any difference whatsoever...as for the knob, I had NO idea that u could request them to change the thread of the lever...that royally sucks ass!!!!

I know my frustration will pass after some sleep but I am pissed that my first mod on the car ended up being a downer.. :(

I was sort of disapointed with the short throw too. but its not to big of a deal. I should have just got the bushings. I like the way it looks better. its about an inch lower than stock.

Latest posts

Back