How to disable the DRL?

CX_9

Hi Guys,

Do you know how to disable the DRL (Daytime running lamp) on a CX-9 without lossing the high beam?
I know it's a safty issue but i want to install white LEDs foglights and have them connected with the DRL wires but I don't like the yellow DRL along with the white LEDs fogs .

Thanks

Have no idea. We here in the U.S. don't have that. I DO know that on my 1997 Passat GLX, I had a single wire with a connector below the cowl, near the firewall, and all I had to do was pull apart the connector and BAM no more DRL. Very likely there is a single wire somewhere that just needs to be cut. You just gotta find it!

We here in the U.S. don't have that.
My new 2012 Touring has the DRL enabled....I don't mind that though. I would think that it is a software enabled option that can be turned off by the dealer since they are not required here in the US. The "Lights-on" symbol on the instrument cluster is always on when my car is started.

My new 2012 Touring has the DRL enabled....I don't mind that though. I would think that it is a software enabled option that can be turned off by the dealer since they are not required here in the US. The "Lights-on" symbol on the instrument cluster is always on when my car is started.
ok--I'm going to ask the stupid question--do you have your headlight switch in the "on" position?

Nope.....with the headlight switch on, the headlights are on. With the headlight switch off, only the DRLs (little prism yellowish lights just to the left of the main headlights) are on. In both cases the the "Lights-on" symbol is illuminated as it just stays on constantly.

Last edited:
Still a little confused!

I did a little more research and am still not quite sure how these function. Attached is a pic of my DRL and it clearly shows that the Parking lamp is lit. If I turn the light switch to the park light position with the engine off nothing happens. If I start the car then the parking light comes on and stays on and the light switch has no effect on the parking light whatsoever! It's like they totally did away with the function on the light switch.

Attachments

• 2012 CX-9 DRL.jpg
    2012 CX-9 DRL.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 158
Of course you are confused--CX-9's manufactured for the US pre-2013 don't come with DRLs. So someone jerry-rigged this set up you have.

Parking light bulbs, at normal intensity, don't really provide sufficient brightness to function as a DRL that can be easily seen during the day. My Lexus, and an old Saturn that I had, used the high-beam bulb, but at a lower intensity. If your parking lights are on in the front, are the tail lights on too? Maybe someone just wired the set up so that the parking lights are always on--that would explain why the dash indicates that the lights are on.

Of course you are confused--CX-9's manufactured for the US pre-2013 don't come with DRLs. So someone jerry-rigged this set up you have.

Tex....I believe you are right! Since I purchased this car new, directly from the Mazda dealer, I couldn't think of how that could be. But, he had an outside service install an aftermarket remote starter and I think they wired it to the wrong points. It should turn on the parking lights at first, but then when the ignition switch is turned to the run position, the parking lights should go out. I have a call in to them to get this corrected. Thanks.

Back