How to cure Cel/Mil from removing cat with Non-Fouler

Got the header in, my mom dropped it on her foot when she brought it inside and busted up her toe. lol, I told her it was probably top heavy, lol, but it was too late then. The non-fouler fit right in and its ready to be put in tomorrow just as soon as I get home from taking my finals. And just a quick question, is there any thing I can use to seal off the non-fouler and o2 sensors with? I was thinking lock tight or something but it probably get really hot. lol

jeg0024 said:
Got the header in, my mom dropped it on her foot when she brought it inside and busted up her toe. lol, I told her it was probably top heavy, lol, but it was too late then. The non-fouler fit right in and its ready to be put in tomorrow just as soon as I get home from taking my finals. And just a quick question, is there any thing I can use to seal off the non-fouler and o2 sensors with? I was thinking lock tight or something but it probably get really hot. lol

The 02 should screw right into the non fouler.. just turn it pretty tight ( not too tight ) and you should be good to go. Keep us posted how the install goes.

will do, and do i need to tourqe the bolts into the block or just make sure there tightened up good?

And it came with a gasket for the top, so remove the old one right?

If it came with a gasket for the header.. yes replace it. If it came with a gasket for the fouler... place between the two foulers. I'd just tight then by hand nice in snug.. no torque wrench is need.

Oh yeah baby...I got it in, the pics are too big right now but once I get them resized ill have em.

Nice.. I wished i would of told you before you installed your header.. WHIP IT CLEAN. Mine has oily finger prints all over it and once it gets hot JUST ONCE.. its there forever. So how do you like the hp? notice any difference in power and exhaust tone?

Drake13 said:
Nice.. I wished i would of told you before you installed your header.. WHIP IT CLEAN. Mine has oily finger prints all over it and once it gets hot JUST ONCE.. its there forever. So how do you like the hp? notice any difference in power and exhaust tone?

No probs bro, I wiped it down and shined it with degreaser before starting it up. It picks up better and its defiantely louder, alittle raspy just before shifting points but its gonna be just fine.

If you throw a CEL i'd flash it. If you don't because you already installed in so the readings should be the same.. you might not need to. So when you getting some CAI?

hellz yeah! lol, my car was freakin stock 3 months ago, I look at that car and just say damn that thing looks mean, lol, then just sit there and stare at it.

Saweet

If its a little raspy check if its coming from where the header meets the mid pipe, If the header pipe pertrudes the O gasket on the end of the header you need to grab a sawzall or hack saw and make it flush, also use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts right (To the block with the torque wrench, & compress the springs a bit where it connects to the mid pipe, but if there is any bit of pertruding of the header past the O gasket, its most likely going to make raspy noise), there is no more bracket holding the header to the engine and it moves ALOT if not tightened right the raspyness gets louder and louder.

If cut right, & tightened right, & coupled with a nice exhaust system, its just a beutifull sound, Honduhs only dream of.

Also flash your ecu cell or no cell, its best to get the ECU to learn its maps while the header is there for optimum results (Trust me the diff is evident I tested this at the 1/4 track with conclusive results when putting this all together) I got my Protege to run 15.9's all night long with only a few mods.

Great to hear about your Protegeas she gets modded, stock is for suckars ;)

Last edited:
wow dude.. i never thought of that. Mine is pretty raspy when i'm going thru 1st-3rd. After that its a nice sound. I never thought of checking the fitting. I do however feel like I hear a sound coming from under my driverside door.. like exhaust noise. Perhaps midus did a F*$%ED up replacing piping under there. Do you happen to know what torque specific the bolts need to be?

Hey, Its been at least 500 miles and no CEL! I acually got 28mpg last tank which is the best ive gotten in a while. 350 miles on 12.5 gal. (first)

Could this be due to the header and exhaust?

Some could argue that the breathing of the motor is the cause. Im surprised though, because after I put mine in, I drove her harder keeping the revs high enjoying the extra ponies & this of-course resulted in lower miles per gallon :)

Glad to hear the CEL hasnt come on, after arround 500+ you should be good to go with no worries.

Rac3rX said:
Some could argue that the breathing of the motor is the cause. Im surprised though, because after I put mine in, I drove her harder keeping the revs high enjoying the extra ponies & this of-course resulted in lower miles per gallon :)

Glad to hear the CEL hasnt come on, after arround 500+ you should be good to go with no worries.

Sounds good. And yes, driving around town I get about 22mpg, but I used that whole tank on the interstate going 75-80mph with only about 20 miles driven on city streets. Man I hold the gas just a bit longer before shifting so I can hear that thing growl, I dont get any mpg worth bragging about on the streets, not with the way I drive. lol

Back