How to check for exhaust leaks

chopperman

:
Mazda Protege 5
I know that my exhaust system has a bad gasket some where, cuz it sounds like a damn race car. Even tho I really like the sound I want to fix this. Are there any tips on how to do this, should I just jack it up and start the engine and put my hand near connections to see if air is coming out.

jack it up, start it, and crawl underneith while u get a buddy to plug the end of the pipe with a leather glove or rag or something. it'll be easy to hear where the leak is coming from then.

You could also jack it up and run some seafoam in the engine. White stem will pour out of any leaky spots..

Second the sea foam idea.

pop off one of the vacumm lines while a buddy revs it a little, and stick it into the can. Instand white cloud covering your neighborhood and coming out of where ever a leak is.

Alright I got the Seafoam. And put it in the vacum line, Smoke came out of the front of the motor, From under the header cover. So I guess its a header gasket. So its not gonna be that big of a problem to replace, im just glad I dont have to go under the car again.

OK its not the manifold. Its the part that connects to the end of the header and it is covered by a round sheet of metal. I dont know what that is behind there. Can anyone elaborate on it.

Isnt the cat coverter just under the middle of the car? this is coming more from the front of the car. I thought that was called a Precat? Will this be protected under the 80k mile warranty?

chopperman said:
Isnt the cat coverter just under the middle of the car? this is coming more from the front of the car. I thought that was called a Precat? Will this be protected under the 80k mile warranty?

P5's have 2 cats, 1 in front of the engine, the other down below. I dunno if it's covered under your warranty. If it is, get it replaced, if not, UPGRADE to headers!!!

Yeh it is definatly coming from the precat, is it a problem if I dont fix the exhaust leak. Cuz It sounds really good lol

Crazy D said:
Sorry to thread jack... but is a header all he would need? (I have the same problem)... All I need to know if I get a OBX I don't need anything else / and this eliminates the 1st cat

The header replaces the manifold, pre-cat and j-pipe. It bolts right up to the midpipe with the doughnut gasket off the j-pipe. Make sure you use the non-fouler trick or extend the O2 sensor wires to avoid a CEL

k... once this is all said and done... I should feel a bit of a difference right? I'm actually doing this cuz my first cat is shot... and cuz it'll make the below engine pics look better..... "Upgrade"...

Thanks for all the Info Mr. Ames

Back