How-To: Change out rear wiper blade for CHEAP!!!

Hank3

Asian Persuasion <><
Contributor
:
2010 Mazda5 GT
I've seen from time to time members posting questions about replacing the rear wiper. I for one actually like the option of using it during rainstorms, but some folks don't like it as much and have done the rear wiper delete mod.

At first, all I saw were members saying that you can only get the replacement from Mazda, which for some folks is inconvenient since the dealer is far away, and it also costs a pretty penny. Ordering online isn't a great option due to shipping...unless you order other things and just add it to the list of things you're purchasing.

So I went to my local Discount Auto and purchased two rubber blades (for around $5 or so) that you can cut down to size. Make sure they have the two metal strips since you cannot use the metal strip from the OEM rubber blade. You may be able to find a rubber blade at your local auto parts place that looks like the stock one, but I couldn't.

EDIT* Other owners have reported that you can go to AutoZone and buy a Duralast 14" wiper for $7. Then all you have to do is remove the blade from the Duralast arm and slide it into the stock rear wiper arm. Or you can buy Duralast refills from Autozone for $4.99 for a pair of them. No metal needed either, it's already got hard plastic on top of the blade that slides right into the stock rear wiper arm. You can buy a longer version of this and cut it down too.

NOTE: There's a section in the owner's manual (section 8-30 to be exact or page 297. Here's the PDF Version) on how to change out just the blade part of the rear wiper. Onto the process and pics:

So first take off the rear wiper:

wiper1.jpg

wiper2.jpg

Picture of the stock rear wiper blade:

wiper1a.jpg

Picture of the rear wiper blade and the one I purchased:

wiper3.jpg

Cut down the new blade and the metal strips to match the stock one:

wiper4.jpg

Seat the metal strips to the new rubber blade (the metal strips can be finicky to keep the slots/grooves, so be patient):

wiper5.jpg

wiper6.jpg

Next, slide the blade into the wiper slot (start from the 2nd slot on one side and work your way to the other end - leave the very end slot open for now):

wiper7.jpg

In this pic, I am working the blade from right to left:

wiper8.jpg

Leaving the last slot open - then you bend the blade and the metal strips a little to fit it in:

wiper9.jpg

wiper10.jpg

wiper11.jpg

Re-attach the blade to the wiper assembly now:

wiper15.jpg

wiper12.jpg

wiper13.jpg

wiper16.jpg

And you're done! Congrats...and now enjoy clean streak-free wipes!!! (2thumbs)

wiper17.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't feel like cutting or can't find just the rubber blade (like in my case), you can go to AutoZone and buy a Duralast 14" wiper for $7. Then all you have to do is remove the blade from the Duralast arm and slide it into the stock rear wiper arm.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than paying $18 for a replacement wiper arm at the Mazda dealership.

Yeah - I'm sure you can just get a wiper and use the blade from it. I couldn't find one and I figured I'd get two replacements for around $5. And the time I saved from driving to my dealership, which is 30 minutes away.

Last edited:
I basically did the same thing. However, I found that the bosch from advance auto has the metal strip inside of it just like OEM, so there was no need to fuss with the two metal strips like you did. I just measured, clipped with bolt cutters and put back on.

Yeah...I'll get the one with the one metal strip in it after I use up my other refill.

This is no longer needed as a solution. I just bought a replacement assembly from Advance Auto Parts for our cars. At least for a 2006. It is a Trico 14-D. It is an exact fit. Twas $11.98.

Back