How to change front struts and stabilizer link/bushings??

wendy93089

:
2007 mazda5
anyone have a step by step on how to change the front struts and the front stabilizer links and stabilizer bushings. going to do it over the weekend and would like a rough idea. i tried looking for pictures on the forum but had no luck. thanks any help i would appreciate it.

You can find a bunch of how to videos on YouTube. It's pretty easy. You don't have to hammer the knuckle off though. It you split it open, the strut comes right out.

I just did this work a few months ago. Phunky's got one of the best write ups around here
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...BR-Type-Coilovers-Mazda-5-(Review-and-Install

Also, buy this or hate life. splits the knuckle open nice and easy.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--VR6_12v/Suspension/Tools/ES3894/

And buy lots of PB blaster to free the rusty crusty bolts. I always replace all the major bolts involved in something like this but i guess you don't have to.

the stablizer bushing are a b****. There's not much to really write about it but do a few searches in mazda 3 forums and you'll find a few different approaches. I did it WITHOUT dropping the front subframe, using an extendable ratchet and a small 3 inch extension. It's all about finding the right angle to get your tool into the very tight spaces. And it takes FOREVER to turn each nut since you get maybe 5mm of movement per turn.

The passenger side you get from below, laying on your back and just reaching over. It's obvious once you get under there. Now the drive side is where the steering rack is in the way. The front nut is best accessed from the wheel well. As in, lay on your back with your head looking up at the front strut, but not directly under it. Then just peak over the subframe and you'll see a clear path to the forward nut. The rear nut i got to by placing the ratchet/socket on the nut from behind then reaching over the rack from the front to turn...it's a pain. just experiment and find what works.

The end links are pretty obvious. You'll need to get a jack under the ball joint (carefully) to get the end links to line up. otherwise it's insanely straight forward.

Last edited:
Phunky's write up should definitely help you pre-determine the attachment of things, but once you get the front end up and the wheels off it's all pretty clear.

My suggestion - as opposed to buying some fancy one-off tool that you don't really need - is simply remove the spindle bolt, stick a nickel in the slot and thread the bolt in the opposite side. So, if the bolt removes from the front, re-thread it from the rear. As it makes contact with the nickel (that you placed in the slot on the back), tighten the bolt down until the spindle is spread open just enough to slide the strut out. A dab of grease or anti-seize on the side of the nickel making contact with the bolt tip will help too.

But THE most important tool to have for this job is a pair of spring compressors. Unless you intent on taking the assemblies to a shop to do the actual exchange, you can get the struts apart with some VERY careful attention. Spring compressors can be purchased/rented at most auto parts stores.

Lastly, the strut mounts are a 2-piece design that can come apart accidentally. There are about 30 BB-sized bearings in them. They come apart buy turning the 2 halves until some notches align, then they can be separated. Don't loose the bearings. I re-greased 1 of mine.

The driver side requires the removal of the brake reservoir and bracket. 10mm nuts there. Just remove the 2 nuts holding the reservoir and lean it off to the side. Then the bracket attaches to the top strut ring.

Last edited:
I went ahead and just replaced my front strut mounts when I did my replacement last week. I bought the MOOG front strut mounts from RockAuto, they weren't that expensive and I figured if I was going through all the work of replacing the struts, I should just pony up and change the mounts while I was at it. Also, it isn't the best way, but a small 3 lb sledge hammer and a block of wood does a good job of getting the strut out of the spindle.

Back