How TO: CEL/MIL Eliminator!

trbomp5 said:
Were did you get the anti fouler from? The guy at autozone was no help.
It's in the isle that has those things that have "help" or something like that on it. There will be vacuum Tees, brass fittings and things like that.

Cool, I'll look tonight. The 900 year old guy at AutoJerks, was like "Ya we have em", I said "Do you have an 18mm one?" He said "I know for sure we do not have that". Said they havent used 18mm spark plugs since 1930. I thought to myself, I'm pretty sure they didnt even use metric spark plugs in 1930. What a moron.

Well Advance had them in about 6 different sizes. They had 18mm in straight and tapered thread. I hate AutoJerks. Im not trying to be racist here but if your gonna work in customer service please dont be a million years old and please PLEASE learn english.
They were like $5.95 there and they came with the washers. Cool. Im gonna get them welded up on the new downpipe next week.
Now im gonna do the doubling them up trick, nobody has had a problem with it this way correct? Like the air up in the little "chamber" doesnt sit a hair longer and not be en exact depiction of the current exhaust co2?
Maybe im being over analytical here.

Getting Frustrated

Ok, so I installed my header and MIL fix at the same time. All was well for about 85 miles and then threw the CEL. Took it to Autozone and got code 0140 (No Circuit Activity). Removed my O2 sensor and I've ohm'd everything out, resistor measures 1M and the cap is not a short. Reset the ECU and got the code again about 85 miles later.

What should I do? I'm thinking that I should remove the fix and make sure that I get the other CEL that my cat isn't working. At least with that I can verify that my O2 sensor is stilll working.

Couple of questions though:
-When I throw the CEL without the MIL fix my car will run rich. Is there any potential for damage under this condition?
-Is the first O2 sensor the same as the second O2 sensor (just in case I have to replace it)?

Thanks.

blaxer said:
Ok, so I installed my header and MIL fix at the same time. All was well for about 85 miles and then threw the CEL. Took it to Autozone and got code 0140 (No Circuit Activity). Removed my O2 sensor and I've ohm'd everything out, resistor measures 1M and the cap is not a short. Reset the ECU and got the code again about 85 miles later.

What should I do? I'm thinking that I should remove the fix and make sure that I get the other CEL that my cat isn't working. At least with that I can verify that my O2 sensor is stilll working.

Couple of questions though:
-When I throw the CEL without the MIL fix my car will run rich. Is there any potential for damage under this condition?
-Is the first O2 sensor the same as the second O2 sensor (just in case I have to replace it)?

Thanks.
ans1: basically you will just get bad gas mileage. yor sensors and egr valve might, and i say might, fail a little premature. your engine won't blow up or anything so try not to worry too much.

ans2: yes they are the same, you can even get a universal o2 as long as it is a 4-wire o2 sensor.

check the soldering on your connections.

try the anti-foulers too, they work and no screwing with the wires. have them installed on my msp for 800 miles w/ no CEL/MIL.

good luck

i installed this fix today. had to reset my ecu... the CEL is off now. but doesn't it take a few starts or something before i'll see if its worked?

make sure your cap isn't polarized as well, and yes solder connections

riz, it takes KM/Miles to turn on the CEL light again

Well, got another CEL once I removed the MIL fix and it was the 0241 code (2thumbs). That means I don't have to replace my O2 sensor. Being that I had no luck with the MIL fix, I picked up the 2 anti foulers and am trying that. I should know if that did the trick in a couple of miles.

Mine took about 80 miles to throw the 0140 CEL and 30 miles to throw the 0241 CEL. I guess if this doesn't work, then I just have one of the anti foulers welded in behind the cat.

riz said:
i installed this fix today. had to reset my ecu... the CEL is off now. but doesn't it take a few starts or something before i'll see if its worked?
That depends..on if you purchase the correct equipment...and if you installed it properly.

Usually it's about 100-150miles..depends on the problem.

Chas

Check out the pics on page 3, they are the ones I used and it's working great for me. They show the packages and all so you can get the correct ones.

What if you have a header and you just keep resetting the ecu whenever the check engine light comes on? Will that suffice? Or will it still not be getting total performance even thoe the light is not on anymore?

pimpprotege69 said:
What if you have a header and you just keep resetting the ecu whenever the check engine light comes on? Will that suffice? Or will it still not be getting total performance even thoe the light is not on anymore?
Yeah that will be sufficeint..but it will also reset all your raidio stations..not to mention..the ecu will have to relearn the maps every time..so your idle will be wierd sometimes..

Chas

Bleh dont listen to the radio, my radio has a battery memory anyway. As long as it's fine if I keep resetting it don't seem like a big deal to me.

pimpprotege69 said:
I don't think the car will be running at optimum performance while the ECU is trying to re-learn the settings. I kept reseting mine for several monthes until I finally got around to installing the fix. It may be my imagination, but the car seemed much more responsive after serveral hundred miles with no CEL. Once the ECU re-learned with the CEL fix in place the car seemed quicker.

P54DRIDE said:
Does it have to be a uF capcitor??? I bought a capacitor, but I'm not sure if it's a uF.
LOL yes it does matter it must be EXACALY 1uF (1 micro Farad) or else the sign wave it makes will be off or out of phase or something and the ecu will b**** at you again

my cap is diff, I'll scan it and someone please tell me if its right?

(sorry the dig cam is on loan right now)

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 437
Back