How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

The low profile headrest are awesome for visibility and for the functionalty of slapping the back seats up and down. The only complaint that I have is that they do protrude more forward than the standard US ones and my rear seat occupants complain if they are trying to get some rest while enroute. It looks like the Mazda Cx-3 has made them a little concave to address this.

Got mine from Fendyman yesterday! Very prompt and arrived in perfect condition quickly and yes, visibility does improve and they look 'cool'er too if I can add.

I actually just sent out a request to the Mazda dealer in Australia for the headrests with shipping to CA. Fingers crossed he can still get them.

So I was wondering if anyone has heard of Group 5 USA?
http://www.group5usa.com/product/2013-2015-mazda-cx-5-rear-headrest-set-of-2/
They are selling the JDM rear headrests online. I'm tempted but have never heard of these guys?

Out of stock, so it doesn't matter much.

LOL... that's my bro's website. I still have a set of Tan GT/leather, a set of Tan Sport/cloth (very similar to Tan Touring but w/o the stitching... I'll give extra discount on this set), & a set of Black GT/leather w/ red stitching (this set was sale pending but buyer fell through).

I visited a Mazda dealer the other day... it seems like 2016 CX-5 GT w/ black leather headrests are different from previous year... no more red stitching. (unamused) Also, the Touring has different cloth pattern (can someone confirm?). (dunno)

I may visit Japan again in August, so I may order few more sets if people are interested. PM me. Remember Mazda of Japan don't keep them in stock, so it'd take 3-4 weeks to make once ordered. I asked my friend to find out the part no. for 2016 CX-5, so I may be able to order them as well.

LOL... that's my bro's website. I still have a set of Tan GT/leather, a set of Tan Sport/cloth (very similar to Tan Touring but w/o the stitching... I'll give extra discount on this set), & a set of Black GT/leather w/ red stitching (this set was sale pending but buyer fell through).

I visited a Mazda dealer the other day... it seems like 2016 CX-5 GT w/ black leather headrests are different from previous year... no more red stitching. (unamused) Also, the Touring has different cloth pattern (can someone confirm?). (dunno)

I may visit Japan again in August, so I may order few more sets if people are interested. PM me. Remember Mazda of Japan don't keep them in stock, so it'd take 3-4 weeks to make once ordered. I asked my friend to find out the part no. for 2016 CX-5, so I may be able to order them as well.

PM sent, thanks.

EDIT: So yep, the '16 has the red stitching on the seat, but NOT on the headrests. Odd that I never noticed that before.

Rear Side Headrest

Rear Middle Headrest

Rear Seat Stitching

Think they just ran out of red? Ha...

Last edited:
Just received my black leather rear seat headrests from Fendyman. I'm very pleased with them - they match the black leather seats perfectly, and they increase rear visibility substantially. They also make it much easier to put the rear seatbacks down to make a nearly-flat extended cargo area.

One caution, though. I sat in the rear seat and found they provide no whiplash protection when pushed down to their lowest position. Since we seldom carry rear seat passengers, it's far more convenient to move them up when needed than to remain blind to rearward traffic. However, if you regularly carry teenage to adult rear passengers, you may want to think about the constant hassle of adjusting them.

Fendyman is an excellent seller - he delivered exactly as promised, and packed the headrests very well. I'm delighted.

I just sold the last set black GT/leather w/ red stitches. ;)

I talked to my friend in Japan & he'll be able to order '16 GT/leather headrests in Black (w/ black stitches) & Parchment. Also, seems like '16 Touring has different part no. From what I saw from dealer, the cloth pattern is the same but stitches are different. PM me if you're interested so I can order them.

So yep, the '16 has the red stitching on the seat, but NOT on the headrests. Odd that I never noticed that before.

Rear Side Headrest

Rear Middle Headrest

Rear Seat Stitching

Think they just ran out of red? Ha...
Yeah, the black leather seats on '16 has the red stitching on the seats but black stitching on the headrests. Here are some pictures I just took for a 2106 CX-5 SkyActiv-D 2.2L in Taipei:

CX-S kyActiv-D AWD:
Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_1002%252520-%252520Rear.jpg

Non-US spec rear black leather headrests with black stitches:
Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_15%252520-%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_1505%252520-%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_1504%252520-%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

Last edited:
I'll need to place the order next week to make it by the time I go back to Japan in August. PM me ASAP if anyone is interested. For those who PM'd me I already put you on the list. ;)

Received mine from Fendyman.. leather w/ red stitches; arrived in perfect condition and quick also. Fit well on 2016 CX-5 and it does improve the rear-view visibility.

2016-cx5headrest_zpsgv4jcdoy.jpg

Received mine from Fendyman.. leather w/ red stitches; arrived in perfect condition and quick also. Fit well on 2016 CX-5 and it does improve the rear-view visibility.
For 2016 MY, black leather seats have changed to black stitching on the headrests. I guess using headrests with red stitches are not obvious to see the differences.

Last call... I'm placing the order tonight (or tomorrow am). PM me if you are interested. ;)

Back