How-to: +2psi for a cheap $5

Fede_italiano said:
I tried again and no luck. I cannot find my hands or reach the actuator.
I will try to hook the spring to the nut instead of the lever.
Otherwise I will jack the car sunday.
Honestly, it's a LOT easier if you get it on from under the car then pull on a string attached to the other end so it won't get unhooked from the other side.

SpeedBeaver said:
Honestly, it's a LOT easier if you get it on from under the car then pull on a string attached to the other end so it won't get unhooked from the other side.

Or just use long nose pliers, it did the job for me :p!

Wingman21 said:
Or just use long nose pliers, it did the job for me :p!
I will try from under tomorrow. I will buy jack stands.
I tried again today but no luck. I should unscrew so many thing to get it in.
I have big hands.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks

good luck brother, I did it form under the car with something pulling it up through, pretty easy for me, large hands here too, tried first with the needle nose and just couldn't get it on there. You'll be impressed once done with this simple mod

Velocifero said:
good luck brother, I did it form under the car with something pulling it up through, pretty easy for me, large hands here too, tried first with the needle nose and just couldn't get it on there. You'll be impressed once done with this simple mod
Do I need to remove anything if I go under?
Just so I am prepared.
I already have prepared 2 springs :)

The way I did it was with a straightened coat hanger, I fed it down the path I wanted the spring to travel from the top of the car, then got under the car and hooked one spring end to the post that the actuator arm is fixed to, it is pretty easy to see and get to from under the car, then attached the other spring end to the coathanger, went up top and pulled the coat hanger back up with spring and attached it to the actuator shield. I know some people have done it the same way but used string instead of the coat hanger, but other than that you shouldn't need any tools, just something that can pull the spring up from underneath. good luck again

I finaly tought of bringning my book to my parent's place and scan the page...

spring.JPG

lol, so it looks like when this first came out there was a lot of arguing. is it safe to say this is an unoffical recommended upgrade?

Black Mica #39 said:
lol, so it looks like when this first came out there was a lot of arguing. is it safe to say this is an unoffical recommended upgrade?
As long as you change for colder plugs yes.

Black Mica #39 said:
Colder plugs? i think i may be a lil dumb in that department, do you mind elaborating?
you need to use spark plugs with a colder spark temperature. Look in the "Engine & Performance" subforum there is a sticky regarding spark plugs options for the MSP.

michiganspeed said:
I might take mine off for winter. i keep hitting the fuel cutoff.
I keep thinking this too, but what about the nice days? 5.5 just isnt the same as 8+. I don't want to have to reattach and unattach all winter. Just gotta feather the s*** outta the pedal and u can still hit close to full boost and very little fuel cut. Plus, once I get past certain rpms after a lil fuel cut, she pulls right on through.

Okay,

been sifting through all these replies - -

Question:
What mods recommended to make the best out of the additional boost?
I saw one reply that said 1 step colder plugs.

What about?
1) SMIC
2) or FMIC
3) 626 mani

And what is this business about lowering the fuel pressure to lean it out in open loop (WOT) mode? Does that help when upping the boost? I would think having it rich would be better for higher boost yes? I'm reflashed too

Guys,

I installed the spring tonight. I was at 6 psi stock. Now it spikes to 8 psi and falls quickly back to 6 psi.

My car is basically stock, with one step cooler plugs.

Any idea why the boost is leaking off so quickly?

you can try cutting the hook and stretching it a little bit @ a time. Or if you have the stock exhaust, then you're kind of limiting the breathing ability of the turbo.

Is it possible that the stock BPV is opening once I reach the higher boost and just bleeding the "extra" off??

If I shorten the spring some more, won't that make the boost spike even higher?

Yes, I wouldn't cut the spring!! I'm sure you have a boost leak somewhere. The stock pipes expand and contract and leak at the joints. Unless your wastegate actuator has a slight tear. What is your vac at idle?

shane02pro5 said:
Yes, I wouldn't cut the spring!! I'm sure you have a boost leak somewhere. The stock pipes expand and contract and leak at the joints. Unless your wastegate actuator has a slight tear. What is your vac at idle?

IIRC, about 24" Hg when idling slow, about 20 when idling a little faster. I plan on cleaning the EGR when I put the 626 intake on hopefully this weekend.

BTW, I tried blowing into the WGA line the other day - it definetely doesn't leak and the BPV didn't either.

So you are thinking perhaps the boost is leaking out from somewhere in the stock system?

Back