How To: 2.0 Header Installation

its not that far off but enough to make a big exhaust leak.. i'll try to take a picture tomorrow when i have time

and yes it is an obx header

So just get a new one, they have lifetime gaurantees dont they? Or atleast if you got it from Ken he can get you a replacement.

I see that this is for the OBX style header, but for those who have an AWR 4-2-1 you want to look at how close your lower radiator hose is to the #1 cylinder pipe. Apparently AWR made different versions of the header, the one I bought had that pipe routed so that the hose was touching. I ended up going to a local auto parts store and they let me pull around in the back to find a replacement hose that would avoid the problem. If anyone is interested I can provide the part number for the hose (it surprised me how few hoses there were with the correct diameter).

found out the fitting coming off the obx manifold is 1/2" for future reference. i just went ahead and replaced the egr tube with water heater piping and gave me a few extra inches when i decide to do thermal spacer and finish porting intake manifold.

sorry i havent been on in awhile but i did get my header fixed i had to heat it up and bend it. any ways my check engine like is now on.. i got it scaned and it says that i have no cat or something and my mechanic says on the header i put on which is an obx header has no cat on it or something.. does anyone else have this problem?

sorry i havent been on in awhile but i did get my header fixed i had to heat it up and bend it. any ways my check engine like is now on.. i got it scaned and it says that i have no cat or something and my mechanic says on the header i put on which is an obx header has no cat on it or something.. does anyone else have this problem?

did you put on the mil eliminator/non fouler?

I had this problem too.... odd thing is, it was the reason I bought the header. To get rid of the cat. Did you buy this not knowing its purpose? Follow the links provided above.

Posting for DemonIAm

He has his OBX header on and all fits on top, but, he's now got an inch and a half gap between the bottom of the header and midpipe.

I suggested he attach at midpipe first, then see if he can get the top to lineup again

Anybody got any ideas? He's doing it now, and his wife is pissed at em cause she's waiting

no, you definitely want to seat it at the block first... I don't know how there could be that much gap unless it's bent or a defective part

mine bolted right up (on my protege)

It was my header and bolted directly up with no issues other than a faulty donut gasket. Neither of us can figure out why it isn't lining up on his. Waiting to hear back from him.

When we did mine, we bolted it to the exhaust first, since they're springbolts. We then pushed it onto the block, but slightly tightened it so that we still had enough play to get the EGR pipe on. After that, we tightened all the bolts and everything was fine.

I also had to connect to the midpipe first, its all on hangers anyways so you have room to move the header around to get it on the head.

Will a 19inch long 1/2 inch breaker bar with a socket get those midpipe spring bolts loose?
DSCN0426.jpg

Will a 19inch long 1/2 inch breaker bar with a socket get those midpipe spring bolts loose?
DSCN0426.jpg

I don't know but its worth a shot. I ened up with a 5 foot pipe and a wrench to get mine. The thing came off with very little effort! Yes I had a lift and no I couldn't use the air tools(they where in use)

PB blaster the crap out of those bolts first, or you might torque em off. First night i tried to hit the stupid spring bolts, it was a no go. Shot PB blaster and let em sit over night and shot em all throughout the next day, then, i had a 2 foot breaker bar on my socket and it still took quite a bit of muscle, but they eventually came free

For your consideration: I really think a lot of it depends on how rusty the bolts and studs are are. The studs are welded to the midpipe, so if you bend or break one, you're going to have to drill and replace and that's going to set you back quite a bit of time and energy. My car spent time in Michigan before I bought it and with PB blaster my impact still took some time to get the nuts off. I've never seen an impact have as much trouble as it did for me on those nuts. I am sure I would have messed something up if I had used a breaker bar.

i recently took mine off to replace the alternator... just gotta use a little umph... i just hit it a few times with my hand until it cracked loose. once its loose they come off easy.

Back