How rich can you go?

SpicyMchaggis

Banned
Contributor
Let's see if anyone can top this one.

Today, it's hot, I'm blowing back tons of oil, new plugs, reset my ecu on one of the hottest day's of the year (brilliant) and I decide, what the hell, lets go dyno the DX yet again. Last time I did this, it exploded. I was a wee bit nervous. Now, what you are about witness is a mockery of human nature. These are by the far the worst AFR's i've ever seen on a protege. Notice the stumbles all the way up the rev ladder until VICS opens, then closed loop. Just, wow really. Looks like I need to get another piggyback.

Make a note. This exact configuration dyno 128whp/135ftlbs not 8 months ago.

Attachments

• DSCF1139.JPG
    DSCF1139.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 197
Nice big clouds of black smoke too

Atleast the guy was real cool and offered to hook us up with some discount dyno time.

Last edited:
Another piggyback? You mean you have one already?

I'm sure you'll see those hp numbers again when you have full adjustment of fuel and timing. When the A/F drops to 14:1 between 2500-4000 RPM, those same depressions result in power peaks relative to the A/F chart. There's a mini-plateau of torque 4200-4800RPM that appears to be the ideal A/F ratio. Interesting.

Gen1GT said:
Another piggyback? You mean you have one already?

I'm sure you'll see those hp numbers again when you have full adjustment of fuel and timing. When the A/F drops to 14:1 between 2500-4000 RPM, those same depressions result in power peaks relative to the A/F chart. There's a mini-plateau of torque 4200-4800RPM that appears to be the ideal A/F ratio. Interesting.

well josh, I had an MPi on the built motor. When that motor blew, I got rid of that and the uego. I had no need for it. I didn't know the questionable gas and 100 degree temps were going to make me run as bad as I have been. This was more of a joke going to dyno today, I just needed to know how bad, bad was. I'll probably get something else just to keep the car running right. I really wanted out of the whole game, but now it's starting to worry me. I'm running so rich it's making me burn oil...not good..This on on a fresh motor too..

(notcool)

Attachments

• phantom_dyno_2004.jpg
    phantom_dyno_2004.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 145
  • phantom_dyno2_2004.jpg
    phantom_dyno2_2004.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 143
SpicyMchaggis said:
Almost identical, what sucks is how bad my car is running. It's so ******* depressing.

I hear ya! :'(

I was hoping to get a re-dyno, but have not been able to do it yet. I think I'll wait until it's less muggy and a little bit cooler...perhaps next month.

Rdshark1 said:

Hey Rdshark1, what mods do you have for that dyno? Seems like its header, exhaust and cams at least, is that right? I couldnt find the list on your website.

Thanks
/threadjack

why not get a new car instead of wasting your time on this one since you can't get what you want?

I got what I want out of it, more than anyone else has on this forum. It's just depressing that I went from so much to so little..

also, for the record, this wouldnt' be a spicymc post with out a "**** off nub"

You can't just get a rid of a Mazda. I don't mean to thread jack but I just thought I'd throw that in there. Once you own a Mazda, that's it. I've only had my car for a few months, and am biting my nails praying that insurance company doesnt say that it's totalled. After driving my P5, I couldn't drive anything else.

wow man...

I don't know...why is it running so rich, or is that in itself the problem?...no one knows...That MPi thing I know nothing about, but apparently it did little to cure the stock richness problem...

Is it still popping sensors like a pair of tits?

Installshield 2 said:
wow man...

I don't know...why is it running so rich, or is that in itself the problem?...no one knows...That MPi thing I know nothing about, but apparently it did little to cure the stock richness problem...

Is it still popping sensors like a pair of tits?

It still goes through stock sensors. Nothing makes sense with this car, not really much I can do about it anymore (or care to) I'd like to get an F10X on it or perhaps a re-mapped unichip, but I just spent the last money I had on rent.

scorch70 said:
Hey Rdshark1, what mods do you have for that dyno? Seems like its header, exhaust and cams at least, is that right? I couldnt find the list on your website.

Thanks
/threadjack

Yeah...I don't have them listed there (braindead

they are on my Pro Street profile though \/\/\/\/\/ "Sassy Chassis"

Back