How much HP?

MazdaSwede

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda 3 2.3L Black Mica
Im sure someone out here knows the answer to this but how much HP can you actually get out of a N/A non speed mazda 3? ive thought about putting in a turbo but thats just not gonna happen. Just like some thoughts and suggestions if anyone has them.

The 2004 - 2005 models were said to have 160 factory. The later ones, 156.
I don't know what could actually squeeze out of the OE engine w/o boost, but I think it would largely depend on what you were planning to do with the car?
The fastest, and probably cheapest way overall is a turbo. But don;t feel too bad. Not all of us can afford to do that. It's become a running gag between my wife and I.
"What do you want for Christmas, Dear?"
"Well... there's always that turbo I've wanted? It only costs $5000, plus add-ons and tuning.... "
You get the idea.
The Hypertech is said to improve daily driveability by improving electronic throttle response. I'm thinking of it as an alternative. But the numbers speak +/-7 hp... a bit more if running 91 oct.

Yeah ive tossed the idea around but a turbo just is not a feasable option for me right now. i figure a full catback exhaust (+5 HP?) and a CAI (+2-4 hp?) and just some better engine management. already running 91 oct ( realie this might be overkill but i do notice i get a little bit more mpg's with it) ive thought nitrous as well but that is kind of pointless unless im racing (which i dont).

I have both and can tell you that the only place you will feel any difference is in the upper RPM range. If you don't plan to drive the car (on the streets) in 3rd gear all the time, you may lose more than you gain... in low end torque. Don't expect any increase in mileage at normal speeds either.
Don't say I didn't warn you.

I did want something that I could hear, and the stock system was just too quiet. I also love the 4" tip.

Define normal speeds? im usually doing 15-20 above the limit (45 most places). 30 if on the highway. (drove on german autobahn's for seven years, still not used to American speed limits).

I may be wrong but I think "thejeans" is somewhere around 175hp n.a. with bolt on stuff. Hope he sees this and will chime in.

I estimate that mine have added maybe another 10hp too, but at what RPM?
I don't usually drive my car at 5500 RPM. But I have noticed a loss of low rpm response.

View attachment 62003_2006-2009 Mazda3s_2006-2008 Mazda6i 2.3L Non-Turbo.pdf
Yeah ive tossed the idea around but a turbo just is not a feasable option for me right now. i figure a full catback exhaust (+5 HP?) and a CAI (+2-4 hp?) and just some better engine management. already running 91 oct ( realie this might be overkill but i do notice i get a little bit more mpg's with it) ive thought nitrous as well but that is kind of pointless unless im racing (which i dont).

MazdaSwede,

We offer tuning for the N/A 2.3L engine in the Mazda 3 in our Max Energy Sport programmer for Mazdas, part #62003.

On a totally stock vehicle, we measured 136 peak HP at the wheels on our Dynojet chassis dyno. With the Hypertech regular fuel tune, we made 139 HP peak, but gained an average of 4-6HP, at the wheels, all throughout the entire RPM range. With the Hypertech premium fuel tune, there was a slight gain, but not much over the regular fuel tune.

The torque gains were similar; 6-7 Ft-Lbs from 2900 to 4600 RPM with regular fuel, and 7-10 with premium fuel.

Something not measurable on the dyno is the part throttle acceleration. The Hypertech tune greatly improves the throttle response and part throttle acceleration, from off idle through the normal operating range.

See attached dyno chart.

Chris

I may be wrong but I think "thejeans" is somewhere around 175hp n.a. with bolt on stuff. Hope he sees this and will chime in.

Thats pretty ineteresting actually. id like to see what hes got under the hood. maybe a few years from not i might run a turbo but for now id prefer just keeping everything NA.

Yeah, me too.
W/O an ECU tune I don't see how?
He may be "thinking" he's gained that much because several vendors claimed "up to" 15hp for adding their part. Or he's added several, such as a CAI and exhaust, combined claim increase of 15hp.
I don't see it myself. With these computer controlled modern cars I am skeptical about any claims like that.
Like the intake turbo that will "instantly add 2mpg, "GUARANTEED!!" Or the "electric turbo." Another scam, and it's not just the fly-by-nighters hyping their wares and boosting their numbers either.

thejeans has had his 3 on a few different dynos. I will try to get an actual number.
Upon further review on another forum, the dyno numbers that he posted were incorrect. There was some sort of malfunction in the dyno system that screwed with the numbers. So with that being said forget everything I said about his h.p. numbers. We would be lucky to get to 170h.p. with all the bolt ons I/H/E, and bsd, timing advance, vcts delete, tune and a standback.

Last edited:
haha ok that sounds much more believeable. still tho for a little car like the 3 170 is not bad. and thats being generous. i think even 160 wouldnt be bad. (then again is ANY gain bad).

Mazdas were built with curvy roads in mind, not straight line speed. I see that you are in Florida, so much for curvy roads. Have all the fun you can on the highway interchanges. lol!

You say they are built for curvy roads....I take a corner at 30 and it feels like ima tip over! haha maybe stiffer suspension will make everything better. :D

You say they are built for curvy roads....I take a corner at 30 and it feels like ima tip over! haha maybe stiffer suspension will make everything better. :D

+1 Agreed. not to mention the understeer on these cars is a b****. Sway bars are almost a must on these.

Hypertech-All they do is add timing and lean the fuel maps out, explains why you are recommended to use premium fuel afterwards....too much timing and not enough fuel can cause knock and destroy the engine

To make these cars turn better you can try two things that will aid in adding more over steer, 1 a stiffer "rear" sway and spring/strut or coil over, and 2 a limited slip diffrential, the stock crap open diffrential by design send power to the tire with the least amount of traction, which in a corner happens to be the outside tire, that is why the car seems to be pulling to the outside.

Hypertech-All they do is add timing and lean the fuel maps out, explains why you are recommended to use premium fuel afterwards....too much timing and not enough fuel can cause knock and destroy the engine

To make these cars turn better you can try two things that will aid in adding more over steer, 1 a stiffer "rear" sway and spring/strut or coil over, and 2 a limited slip diffrential, the stock crap open diffrential by design send power to the tire with the least amount of traction, which in a corner happens to be the outside tire, that is why the car seems to be pulling to the outside.

I rather like the understeer. it means i can kick my tail out and take the corner while scaring the people one lane over ;) besides long as im giving it power thru the curve the understeer is manageable.

Latest posts

Back