How long for delivery from port to dealership?

justdeb__

:
2017 CX-5
Does anyone know how long it typically takes for a dealer to receive a vehicle delivery from the port?

I purchased a 2017 CX-5 Touring w/ PEP during July 4th weekend. My local Mazda dealer told me they were expecting delivery of the exact car I wanted and it had just arrived to the port of San Diego on 6/28. Not wanting to miss out on the 0.9% financing being offered for the holiday, I signed all the paperworks for the car 7/1 and was given the VIN # and window sticker print out and was told to expect a call from the dealer once they receive delivery. I was told it could take about a week or so to clear customs, etc.

I'm starting to think the PEP is port installed, hence the reason it's taking longer than initially quoted. I'm curious if anyone knows about how long it takes for port processing and vehicle delivery to the dealer.

Last edited:
The average I have seen over the years is 2 weeks from boat to dealer.

I think Mazdas port city is Vancouver not San Diego. If so, your car might be on the train headed to your city now.

Dont confuse options with accessories. Because of the increased complexity of installing options, the factory has to do it. Examples of options include sun roofs and leather seats. The Touring model with Preferred Equipment Package includes a power sun roof. Even if they could, I doubt that a port facility would install a sun roof because its too time consuming a procedure to cut out a portion of the roof, install the sun roof, wiring, headliner material, and then repaint the roof.

Accessories are easier and faster to install and can be done by the port facility, the dealership, or by you. Examples of accessories include wheel locks, floor mats, tonneau covers, etc.

I think Mazda’s port city is Vancouver not San Diego. If so, your car might be on the train headed to your city now.

Don’t confuse options with accessories. Because of the increased complexity of installing options, the factory has to do it. Examples of options include sun roofs and leather seats. The Touring model with Preferred Equipment Package includes a power sun roof. Even if they could, I doubt that a port facility would install a sun roof because it’s too time consuming a procedure to cut out a portion of the roof, install the sun roof, wiring, headliner material, and then repaint the roof.

Accessories are easier and faster to install and can be done by the port facility, the dealership, or by you. Examples of accessories include wheel locks, floor mats, tonneau covers, etc.

Mazda has port in SOCAL also at Port Hueneme.

I'm sure San Diego receives Mazdas, mine came in at the Port of Los Angeles. There's prep that takes place at the port, they install things like bumper guards etc. depending on how the dealer ordered the car. Then there's a schedule of transportation that depends on when the car arrived, when it was ordered and whether the car was marked 'expedite' (your dealer can do that any time in the process). It could sit at the docks for several days. The actual time to truck it to LA is probably only a few hours depending on how many dealers they're dropping off to before your dealer. Then you dealer will need a couple of hours to prep the car depending on how many dealer installed items you ordered.

I'm sure San Diego receives Mazdas, mine came in at the Port of Los Angeles. There's prep that takes place at the port, they install things like bumper guards etc. depending on how the dealer ordered the car. Then there's a schedule of transportation that depends on when the car arrived, when it was ordered and whether the car was marked 'expedite' (your dealer can do that any time in the process). It could sit at the docks for several days. The actual time to truck it to LA is probably only a few hours depending on how many dealers they're dropping off to before your dealer. Then you dealer will need a couple of hours to prep the car depending on how many dealer installed items you ordered.

Cool, thanks for the info! The anticipation is agonizing!

Cool, thanks for the info! The anticipation is agonizing!
Our 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech was special ordered just like you did. We wanted to get President's Day's $500 cash back and processed some paper work with VIN and put a $500 deposit. At the time the CX-5 we ordered was still on Pacific Ocean, and it took 22 days to reach our Mazda dealer. Once it arrived Long Beach LA, our dealer called us and said it may take another week or two depending on how fast the vehicle can pass the custom.

Call your dealer once a day and you should get a better idea when your CX-5 will arrive. :)

I might have to start bugging the dealer this week. Thanks!
I noticed that my dealer was unable to track the delivery train and truck accurately once our CX-5 left Mazda's port of entry in Long Beach LA. Our CX-5 arrived a day earlier than expected. And once our CX-5 unloaded from the truck, I was making sure my dealer didn't try to drill holes on front bumper to mount dealer's plate. If you plan to keep your front bumper nice and clean without mounting the front license plate bracket/holder, you have a chance to stop them and ask your dealer simply give the plate bracket/holder to you.

Latest posts

Back