How important is it to replace the washer for the inner tie rod end?

The replacement inner tie rod ends I bought didn't come with new washers and the service manual says that they should be replaced. I called a local Mazda dealership to see if they have any of these washers in stock and apparently the closest place that has them is in Ontario =/

So what's so special about these washers that they need to be replaced? (Is it like a crush washer or a lock washer?)

If anyone cares, the part number is B25D-32-132.

I did a little more research, it seems it is a lockwasher so I'll order some replacements and postpone this job until next monday...

I actually need to do this same repair soon too. I was trying to look in the power steering section on floptical.net though and I saw nothing concerning torque values for the tie rod or anything about using loc-tite or not. Am I missing something?

edit-Took another look and found it. Good to know about looking into the lockwasher ahead of time!

Last edited:
For whatever reason, all the inner tie rod ends from Rockauto don't come with washers for 3rd gen proteges (for most other types of cars they do). Also, if you do end up ordering aftermarket parts, Deeza seems to be the only manufacturer that makes different inner tie rod ends for the left and right side. All the others use the same part for both sides. The only difference seems to be some kind of vent hole on one of them, I'm not sure how important it is...

Latest posts

Back