How does your insurance comapany...

Dragon_Reborn

:
'02 Protege ES Sedan
How does your insurance company determine if your car is totaled? Or if the car is worth fixing? I ask this b/c I was involved in a wreck today (which wasnt my fault) my car received a large amount of damage to the front end, and both air bags deployed. I wasnt able to talk to my insurance company today yet, but will be calling them first thing in the morning. Im hoping they say it is totaled, that way they can give me what its worth to pay off the loan and I can buy a mazdaspeed or mazda 3. I dont want them to repair it b/c I know the car will never be the same or drive the same, and it will never be as nice as it was before.

I ask this because an S-10 smashed into me today and the front end of my car is ruined, the front bumper, the headlight housing, along with the right wheel, the hood, the windshield, the radiator, the front suspension, maybe even the transmission as well, and some damage to the engine, Injen CAI is now a short ram intake. I noticed there was a mixture of brown, green, and red fluid on the ground ( oil, radiator fluid, and tranny fluid) after I had to kick open my drivers side door to get out.

Doesn't matter how the determine it....sounds like your car is very totaled.

Glad to hear everybody's ok (at least i assume they are because you're posting about this without mention of health concerns) Good luck with your insurance!!!

It is badly damaged from what I could tell at the wrecker place where my car was towed to. Today was a very bad day for me it started off after I picked my girlfriend up from work. We decided to go get something to eat and I was driving along in the right lane at 32mph and the left lane was full of cars that were backed up 3 blocks or so. Very few cars were in the right lane b/c it turned out the right lane was closed at the end of the road. And a white S-10, extended cab, with orange racing strips hit the left front end of my car. I had my seatbelt on, my girlfriend did not, and shortly after that a fire truck came along with 3 police cars, and an ambulance, and my girlfriend and I were sent off to the hospital. Thank god we were not badly injured. The *ucked up thing was when we got hit, the guy in the S-10 had the nerve to get out of his truck, walk over to my drivers side window, see my girlfriend and I covered with blood, get back in his truck and run off, only to make it 4 blocks away before the police pulled him over and cuffed his ass. He was charged with a felony for fleeing the scene of an accident, driving on a suspended license, and failing to yield to oncoming traffic while turning left. The police officer who busted the guy told me at the hospital that he said he was just trying to find a place to park his vehicle.

Last edited:
Well, the insurance company will figure out how much to fix your car and what is your car value before it is wrecked. If it costs more to fix your car compare the value of the car then they will determine that your car is total and they will pay you the money. I don't know if you can get your wrecked car back or not. But, somehow my friend got the money and his wrecked car. Does it make sense to you?

Hmmm I see, so hopefully my car costs more $$$ to fix then what the value of the car is, and that way they will give me $$$ for what the car was worth before the accident yeah that makes sense, thanks for the info/reply.

Man, that pissed me off. How can a person do something like that? Well, good thing the cops bust his ass. Hope you and your girlfriend get better and good luck with the insurance

No problem man. If you have more questions, don't be hesitate to post it. I bet this forum members will be gladly to help you out :p

I'm not sure if the same pertains to cars I know that at my company if the the truck has a book value of say 10k and the repairs are aroung 8k or more then they consider it a total loss. Not worth to fix. I think car insurance companies do the same thing as well. My sis in law case was handled like that. Hope that answers your question. And sorry about the car. Good luck

Technically, when your insurance company pays,it actually buys back your car. They sometimes offer you (or i guess you can offer them) to buy back your car for a low low price (sometimes for a dollar). It can be useful for you when you want to grab parts off the wreck. The downside is you have to dispose of the wreck once you're finished with it...Which is why they offered the buy-back in the first place: so they don't have to pay for getting rid of it...

Back