how does an electronic keyboard receive music?

MP3Architect

Contributor
ok...for years you guys have helped me out in the oddest non-mazda things....

maybe someone here can help...

ok i am an architecture student and wanting to script my project using the mathematics of music. scripting is basically programming. ok...i was thinking of using an oscillator and using the frequency of pitches and exporting them to an excel file (which is exactly what i am looking for!) in numbers (possible).

but what would work soooo much better for what i want is to put music information into numbers (not just frequency of whats heard, but the actual musical score like note pitch and length for multiple instruments). i want to be able to translate this back into a sheet of music in the end.

what comes to mind is the music that is already programmed into electric keyboards. especially those keyboards that light up keys to teach amateurs how to play. does anyone know where i can find any useful information on how that is done or where i can obtain "digital sheets of music". not real sheets for the human eye but numerical codes (in an excel type format) of music?

thanks for any help!

The only PC/keyboard interface I know of is MIDI.

Not sure what software could do what you want, but I've often heard Cubase mentioned in the same breath as MIDI...

yeah i kept looking for midi but wasn't finding anything good until someone showed me how midi is numerical based. so i knew there had to be something out there. finally found an MIDI File Disassembler. does exactly what i need. thanks guys.

Back