How Does a P5 Handle Abuse?

Ksychic

:
2002 Protege 5 AT
I recently bought a P5, as a third car.

Atm, I am forced to drive this one to work, as my wife took the BMW, and my daughter who just got her license, now drives the Lexus!

I have taken very good care of the P5, and one of those things includes not flooring it. Every time I drive my 335 or IS250, I find myself flooring it, but I feel this car can't handle it for some reason!

I know you guys are experts, so how well are these engines built, and could they handle it if I floor it often? I have an 02' with 29k miles by the way.

Also, it seems when I am doing 80 on the highway, RPMs are approaching 4k, that seems somewhat scary, the car isn't stressing right?

first of all, WHY is she driving the lexus? unless she can't drive manual,,, only reason I can think of...

your 4k revs are perfectly fine at 80mph, I myself have gone faster with my revs being higher for sustained periods with no damage... my car has 157000 miles on the original engine and clutch

the engines in these cars suck if you plan on modifying the car, totally not worth it, if you plan to daily drive the car (like a normal upstanding citizen who has never seen blue and red flashers in his life), these engines are perfect; they will last, give decent gas mileage, and for the most part act trouble free: note of caution they are slow, and can't get out of their own way, but you can maintain the speed you do pick up through a curve, the suspension for what it is, is excellent

i myself have beaten the crap out of my car: i drive it like i stole it. this car has seen sand, salt, snow, mud (been stuck in the mud once), air time, bumps that would make baja prerunners proud, forded water crossings at flooded streets, put the e-brakes to the test on the interstate, done the 1/4 mile multiple times (ran the fastest time achieved by the professionals in this car stock, 16.7), participated in fun runs, i'm sure you get the gist of it

^x2.

I drive mine like i stole it! 200K miles and still runs great!

So have fun! She can take it!

first of all, WHY is she driving the lexus? unless she can't drive manual,,, only reason I can think of...

your 4k revs are perfectly fine at 80mph, I myself have gone faster with my revs being higher for sustained periods with no damage... my car has 157000 miles on the original engine and clutch

the engines in these cars suck if you plan on modifying the car, totally not worth it, if you plan to daily drive the car (like a normal upstanding citizen who has never seen blue and red flashers in his life), these engines are perfect; they will last, give decent gas mileage, and for the most part act trouble free: note of caution they are slow, and can't get out of their own way, but you can maintain the speed you do pick up through a curve, the suspension for what it is, is excellent

i myself have beaten the crap out of my car: i drive it like i stole it. this car has seen sand, salt, snow, mud (been stuck in the mud once), air time, bumps that would make baja prerunners proud, forded water crossings at flooded streets, put the e-brakes to the test on the interstate, done the 1/4 mile multiple times (ran the fastest time achieved by the professionals in this car stock, 16.7), participated in fun runs, i'm sure you get the gist of it

I've spoiled my daughter somewhat lol. I will probably be taking my Lexus back shortly. The Lexus and P5 are auto, the BMW is stick, but no chance my wife gives it up. The bulk of the payments for it come out of her 65k paycheck LOL..

Anyway, yea, the P5 seems VERY slow, but I may be comparing it to my other two cars lol.

If you two have beaten the crap out of your P5, then I guess I will start driving the P5 and having some fun with it now.

As far as RPM's, when doing 80, at 4k, the car makes so much noise, and my cars are like 2-3k RPM at that speed, so I am glad I am not straining the car.

Thanks man

As far as RPM's, when doing 80, at 4k, the car makes so much noise, and my cars are like 2-3k RPM at that speed, so I am glad I am not straining the car.

Thanks man

just think of it as the red-headed step child: loud n proud: just the nature of the beast

no prob dude

The road noise is quite loud, especially when compared to a luxury vehicle like the others you own. Somehow though it makes it feel like you're connected to the road more.

Almost always run it floored to redline in 1st gear.
150k and so far so good.
I agree w/ others; it can take it.
Also corners like a go cart. One of the most fun vehicles I have ever had.
Enjoy the ride!

lol, the p5 really reminds me a lot of my old ninja ex250 i used to have (i'd shift that sucker at 16k rpm lol). it only starts moving once you really wind it up and it'll handle the abuse pretty well even though it sounds like it's gonna blow up

Thanks guys.. appreciate it. I know where to go for info on this P5 lol!

And Raserx, very funny...

Latest posts

Back