How do you check the transmission fluid on a MS3?

Sorax

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3
It sounds like my differential has been clunking a lot lately. I'm planning on taking her into the dealer next week, but I'm changing my oil now and would like to check the transmission fluid level. I looked through the manual and didn't find the answer, so any help will be much appreciated.

It sounds like my differential has been clunking a lot lately. I'm planning on taking her into the dealer next week, but I'm changing my oil now and would like to check the transmission fluid level. I looked through the manual and didn't find the answer, so any help will be much appreciated.
You have to remove the fill hole plug and stick a finger (or something) in the hole. With the car level, the oil should be within 1/2" of the hole.

The plug is on the front of the transmission. I tried to show where it is in the attached picture, taken from above.

Attachments

• P1050176 (Small).JPG
    P1050176 (Small).JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 4,544
isnt it the top plug? i would imagine the tranny fluid would come out of that hole if u took that screw out

isnt it the top plug? i would imagine the tranny fluid would come out of that hole if u took that screw out
Nope. The drain plug is on the side near the back. That's the one. If you are under the car you can see it is not at the bottom.

Thanks for the info Rotus. I had looked at that bolt so I knew right away from your picture. I stuck my finger in there and found fluid. It's hard to tell but it might have been more than a 1/2" down.
My mount was barely hanging on when I went in for the recall. Wish I had gotten a picture of it. I'd felt driveability degrade so I wasn't surprised. I speculate the added stress on the differential caused my worsening problem. I'll see when I get it into the dealer.

Hello,
I also own a new Black Mazdaspeed3 purchased july 20,07. About three weeks ago i noticed some grinding when changing from 2nd into 3rd gear; it happens on and off regardless of driving habbit. Lately it's been happening more often. I'd like to change my tranny fluid to a synthetic (whatever you guys recommend is best) but can someone point out to me where the drain plug is? does the bolt look similar to the fill hole pointed out in the second post?

Thanks in advance

Hello,
I also own a new Black Mazdaspeed3 purchased july 20,07. About three weeks ago i noticed some grinding when changing from 2nd into 3rd gear; it happens on and off regardless of driving habbit. Lately it's been happening more often. I'd like to change my tranny fluid to a synthetic (whatever you guys recommend is best) but can someone point out to me where the drain plug is? does the bolt look similar to the fill hole pointed out in the second post?

Thanks in advance
The drain plug looks identical to the fill plug. It is at back of the driver's side of the tranny. It is best to drain with the front wheels high, ramps are fine. I am a fan of RedLine MT-90.

To fill, the car should be level. You will need either a pump or a funnel with a long flexible or right angle spout so you can fill from above. Fill until is starts to spill out the fill hole, then put the plug in quick. It should take between 2.5 and 3 quarts.

Don't forget to recycle!

Thanks for the help! I'll make this my project this weekend after my appointment on Wednesday to have my transmission inspected for the grinding issues. I just cant believe i'm having tranny problems at just 5,000k.

Camel, if you get a chance, let us know what happened at your dealer appointment. I am interested in hearing what they had to say. Thanks!

thats a negative. its tranny fluid.
Um, be careful. It's transmission oil. Automatic juice is for some reason traditionally called fluid (it is a form of hydraulic oil), while manuals really use stuff that is just a heavy version of motor oil, but with a different additive package, but it is not motor oil.

Having said this, my Ford T5 manual is specified to use automatic transmission fluid. Go figure.

Bottom line, before adding any liquid to any part of your car, check the specifications. A mistake can be costly.

Same goes for liquids into your body. :)

Here's a tip for when you change your gear oil:

Remove the fill plug first, then the drain plug. You don't want to do it the other way around and then find that you can't open the fill plug.

Back