How do you beat internet filters?

P5_Skylar

:
02 Protege 5
At the school I go to we have a program that has a internet blocker/filter called Websense. So pretty much every website I go to, including my email is blocked by it. Also you can't get to stuff through google, still blocking even if not direct. Does anyone no anyways to get around it? I heard something about cloaking or something? but I don't know how that works....any advice?

base 10 works for me :)

You can use ssh and portforward you traffic. Google it.

Oh yea, dont get fired.

Last edited:
I used to log in under my network admin's name to get unfiltered internet, but getting his username and password is the hard part! Also, we had mac's in school and if you used an ibm based pc you were also not filtered. hehe

The portfoward thing seemed way to complicated, copying down all the info and stuff off the router, and my school is on laptops so there is no router to be seen, all wireless. What is this base 10 thing?

Aight, i'll test out that hidemyass thing tomorrow. that site will probably be blocked by it too is my guess. but thanks for that I hope it works.

yeah my school blocks out some sites too, try going to altavista babelfish or sumthing and type in your url to be translated. then just pick korean to english or turkish to enlgish. anything to english and it'll bypass it. well it does for our system at least cuz they pretty much blocked out all the bypassing sites

Have fun when you get caught and completely lose your access.

Can't you wait until you get home to check your email?

P5_Skylar said:
At the school I go to we have a program that has a internet blocker/filter called Websense. So pretty much every website I go to, including my email is blocked by it. Also you can't get to stuff through google, still blocking even if not direct. Does anyone no anyways to get around it? I heard something about cloaking or something? but I don't know how that works....any advice?
haha. my school uses Websense too..
it's the most retarded filter because it blocks half the sites that I need to go to for class and it's because they're categorized as "tasteless."

what you have to do:
-go to tools
-internet options
-connections
-LAN settings
-change the ip address and/or the port # at the bottom to something like 192.168.0.1 port 8080

if you don't c+p the original ip + port #... you'll have to reboot for the settings to be restored

or altavista>translate webpage>chinese-simp to english

It took me 2 months of boredom in web page design to figure that crap out

Ok, after a day at school in different classes trying new things, i'll give you the summary. Hidemyass.com is blocked by websense. Babelfish lets me go to a website but when i try to login to the site (such as my email) it won't let me. I then got the brilliant idea of putting hidemyass in babelfish which works, but then when i have to verify by typing in the 4 letter code, the image doesnt appear so i dont know what to type. ...AND my internet options are blocked by the admin so i can't change the IP. any other ideas?

altavista>translate webpage>chinese-simp to english
translate.google.com>translate webpage>chinese-simp to english

websense? run on your computer or is it on a proxy server?

kill the process?

Breeegz said:
websense? run on your computer or is it on a proxy server?

kill the process?

yes, websense. I don't know what you mean by on my comp. or a proxy server. Its just set up through the internet options and on every comp in school. what do you mean kill the process?

You can kill the preccess by CTRL + ALT +DEL and end task on it... however ircc you stated your schools acces is done on laptops via wifi right? If this is your personal laptop then its a Procxie server thats filtering you out. However if its the schools laptop you could always jsut disable the program in start up by going Start > run > msconfig startup table and disable all or each indavidually.... and I think the other tab is system and on thebottom says hide all microsoft items and then it will show you whats not a microsoft software tahts on start up you can disable with no worries.... However you can always just undo this by reenabling them again on restart. by going back into msconfig *becarefull in the tab to the left of the startup tab... I think thats the system tab i was telling you about.... you can diable anythign in the startup tab and not worry about anything.

StealthWyvern said:
You can kill the preccess by CTRL + ALT +DEL and end task on it... however ircc you stated your schools acces is done on laptops via wifi right? If this is your personal laptop then its a Procxie server thats filtering you out. However if its the schools laptop you could always jsut disable the program in start up by going Start > run > msconfig startup table and disable all or each indavidually.... and I think the other tab is system and on thebottom says hide all microsoft items and then it will show you whats not a microsoft software tahts on start up you can disable with no worries.... However you can always just undo this by reenabling them again on restart. by going back into msconfig *becarefull in the tab to the left of the startup tab... I think thats the system tab i was telling you about.... you can diable anythign in the startup tab and not worry about anything.

They are all the schools laptops via wifi. Umm, i've thought of that but pretty much any settings are blocked by admin. On a lot of the laptops you can't even change the background let alone mess with the system config. I'm not even sure if they have a run button on the start menu. they took half the things off of it. I'll see if it works monday.

Back