How do I tap onto a power source for this?

Zhan

:
Titanium MSP, 94 Miata-R red
I bought this custom midpipe with a custom electric cut-out a few months ago and finally I've installed it: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123617336

However, I am not really sure how to tap into a power supply. I'm not sure how much power the motor can handle, but the directions he gave me say that I can tap into the car battery. So, what power supply should I tap into, and what gauge wires would I need?

Thanks.

Okay, I did some reading, and I think I should tap into the ignition harness? If so, what's the difference between the accessory wire (black/white) and the blue ignition wire(s)?

Dude...Stop....Get someone to help you before you hack something important up.

Brian MP5T said:
Use a relay.
Do you mean I need a relay for going directly from the battery or for from the ignition harness? I don't think I will tap directly from the battery because it would constantly be drawing power. And what gauge wire do you suppose I need?

Thanks! (thumb)

Last edited:
Zhan said:
Do you mean I need a relay for going directly from the battery or for from the ignition harness? I don't think I will tap directly from the battery because it would constantly be drawing power. And what gauge wire do you suppose I need?

Thanks! (thumb)
Do not tap into the battery because even if you gave only 12V you will have high current and hight current will need an 8 AWG (as an example) and it might damage the electric motor.
You should check the fuse box for a 12 volts constant source, use a inline fuse, and make sure that you use the appropriate wire based on the amount of current you are drawing.
If you have a multimeter you should check the 5volt source that is powering the 02 sensor and if the motor does not have an high impedance you could probably tap there.

Use a multimeter and check before you cut.

Zhan said:

Thanks! (thumb)

The Relay has 4 Posts.

1 Comes From The BAttery
1 Goes To The Motor
1 Goes to Earth
1 Goes to a Switch (That switch is hooked to the Ign)

This way the motor can take whatever power it needs and it will not put a load on the ignition system.

What was said about making sur the wire is large.. That is the point of the relay, they are like $10.00

sounds like you're an electrical n00b

there's 2 things you can do:
1) pay someone to do this s*** for you and hope he doesn't **** your s*** up
2) learn more about electrical s*** first (like buying a book and reading it) before attempting to DIY

DO either one of them or risk ******* the s*** out of your car

^^ Agrered. I side with Edwin on this.. If you are asking this type of question, you should really seek out help from someone who knows in your area and watch.

Brian MP5T said:
The Relay has 4 Posts.

1 Comes From The BAttery
1 Goes To The Motor
1 Goes to Earth
1 Goes to a Switch (That switch is hooked to the Ign)

This way the motor can take whatever power it needs and it will not put a load on the ignition system.

What was said about making sur the wire is large.. That is the point of the relay, they are like $10.00
So I can't just tap only to one of the ignition wires like with a turbo-timer?

I'm not sure what I can "**** up" when I'm not going to be cutting any wires at all. At most I guess I can blow a fuse.

A Fuse is designed to save you from a big problem. It's better to not Test things and rely on the fuse to save you..

Latest posts

Back