How do I remove the silver trim from the doors?

Really? I just pulled them right off. Mind you, I'm 215 pounds.... :)

It doesn't really matter where you pull from since you're pulling straight towards you regardless... just don't overbend/stress the piece if you start on the sides. You can use a tape-covered screwdriver to help start it if you need to.

For the console, the upper screw is exposed when you remove the dash center stack. (Or perhaps you only need to remove the shifter cover upward and off. I have both removed right now, so not sure where the upper screw hides under)

For the lower screw on the front, it hides right under the 6-inch black (GS) or woodgrain (GT) piece that completes the trim "arc" that continues below where the center console intersects it. (Sounds complicated, but given our dash design that is the best way I could explain it) For those trim pieces, you just pull them straight off as well. Mine were even firmer than the door trim, so you might want to use a screwdriver there too)

I am having a problem with the silver trim on my 2008 GT, I am unfortunately out of warranty so the dealer will not replace them for free under the TSB.

What is the standard warranty period for this TSB? i bought an 08 GT, with 57K miles and warranty date runs out in january from what the told me.

I just called in about getting the trim taken care of and he said it was only up to 36,000 miles.. are the BSing me????

I'm planning to do a 3M wrap too and would prefer to wrap the trims unattached to the vehicle, but if there's a high risk of breaking a tab, I'll just wrap them in place.

I've done a fair amount of wrapping with 3M Di Noc film and you need to completely wrap around the exposed edges. If you just cover the piece without removing and completely wrapping, it will begin to peel at the edges.

FYI, you can get a free sample package from 3M, it has about 8 different finish samples. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/3Mgraphics/ToolsAndSupport/RequestSamples/ .

I've done a fair amount of wrapping with 3M Di Noc film and you need to completely wrap around the exposed edges. If you just cover the piece without removing and completely wrapping, it will begin to peel at the edges.

FYI, you can get a free sample package from 3M, it has about 8 different finish samples. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/3Mgraphics/ToolsAndSupport/RequestSamples/ .

I'll be using the newer 3M Scotchprint 1080 vinyl wraps. I've heard that they are more flexible and easier to maneuver into place. I've also got free samples from 3M but I just haven't had the time to play around with them yet.

Any pointers or detailed steps on how you removed the trim from the rear doors?

Yup - that is the product line I'm going to use as well. Cost me something like $35 on Ebay for enough to do all doors and console trim.

Yup - that is the product line I'm going to use as well. Cost me something like $35 on Ebay for enough to do all doors and console trim.

What size did you buy? I think you need to at least get a 36" width roll if you want the grain to be parallel to the length of the door handles. And since a 12" or 24" length might not be enough to cover all four doors and console, you need to at least buy a 60"x36" (I could not find any 36" or 48" length) unless you are not particular with the grain direction. 60"x36" is around $60-70 at eBay.

And are you also going to apply 3M 94 primer? Just wondering if it's really necessary.

Last edited:
Wasn't planning on prepping it.... except for the obvious cleaning. Once the piece is back on the door, the pressure of it against the door should be enough to keep the vinyl wrapped around the edges in place anyway, so I can't see how it would peel off in any way.

I purchased 12" X 5' (60"). I figured about 4 inches high per strip should do it to provide wrapping around the edges. That's 3 strips per 12", and 30" is actually enough for length... you don't need 36". (I am now wondering if I remembered to measure the length of the rear doors... though I assume they are not that much longer; if at all.)

With 60" of length, that's two strips wide. 3X2=6. Enough to do all 6 trim pieces. But nothing to spare for any extra wrapping anywhere... like the shifter trim or anything. But that's fine.

As far as grain is concerned - you certainly want it to run horizontal or it would look ridiculous.

As far as grain is concerned - you certainly want it to run horizontal or it would look ridiculous.

Exactly. And when you say horizontal, you mean that the grain is running from left to right (not up down) with the door handle directly in front of you right? That's why you'll need at least 36" width, since the grain direction goes along the width (I verified this with a CS rep). And the door handle and console trims are approx 25"-26" long, so 24" is just a tad short. Next step up is 36".

There will be a lot of left overs/spare with using 60"x36", but that's the smallest sheet size you can get if you want the grain to run horizontal. 12"x60" is exactly enough when just factoring surface area coverage though.

I also did some matching with the samples 3M sent me and it somehow made me want to stay away from "brushed aluminum". It looks nice by itself, but when mounted, you'll notice how dull it looks. Front a distance of 2 feet, it looks like a dull white-bluish sheet. Hard to tell that it's supposed to be metallic looking too.

The "brushed titanium" looks better IMO. It's just darker though, but it reflects light nicely and you can clearly see the grain. It also looks more convincingly metallic than the "brushed aluminum". You have to do all the silver trims (shifter etc) though due to huge shade variance.

The closest match to the stock silver Mazda trim is the "gloss white aluminum". It has no grain. A little too glossy for my liking, but it's cheaper than the brushed finish ones.

For now, it's a toss up between the "brushed titanium" and "gloss white aluminum". What do you guys think?

BRUSHED ALUMINUM:
6xvxp2.jpg

BRUSHED TITANIUM:
35mo7xg.jpg

GLOSS WHITE ALUMINUM:
2pyncx4.jpg

Last edited:
You're right about the brushed titanium.... it actually does look more dramatic. Though I wonder if it will match as well with the various light aluminum trim still existing elsewhere. Oh well... my brushed aluminum is already en route.

As far as the length goes - I hope you were misinformed. My understanding is that the grain follows the roll-out direction of the material. In other words, if you buy a 5 foot length, it is 5 feet of grain. If you bought 10 feet, it would be 10 feet of continuous grain. This is what I based my 60" requirement off of. If the grain runs the actual width of the roll and a 12" wide roll only provides 12" of grain width, then I basically just wasted my money because I don't think I want to run the grain perpenticular to the direction of the trim.

I talked to another seller on Ebay as to his product, and he verified that the grain runs with the roll-out direction... not the width of the roll. I assumed 3m was the same?

Now I'm worried. Although what I see in Google searches for this product shows rolls with the grain running as I described....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/andrewboi/IMG_2078.jpg
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/377/561/442/442561377_842.jpg
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/m3pilot16/DSC_2570.jpg
http://tiptopsigns.com/auctions/wrap_vinyl/3M_BR_201_4.jpg
http://www.emperialcollision.com/gallery/wrap/images/vinyl_brushed01.jpg

To me, it just wouldn't make logical sense to limit people to a texture with a maximum width of the roll. What about signs, etc which are made with this stuff?

The more I look at your sample images, the more I regret not getting just a little more so the shifter looks exactly the same; I wonder if it will look out of place now...

Last edited:
The way I understood the CS rep is that the grain will definitely follow the roll-out direction as you've said, but the strange thing is that when they say "length", they're pertaining to the length of the roll/tube.

I too hope that I am wrong since it will be much cheaper and less wasteful if it's the other way around.

Keep us posted when your stuff arrives so that we can finally confirm once and for all. And don't forget to post pics when you're done with wrapping! :)

Btw, which eBay seller did you order from? Can you post the link here? Thanks!

Last edited:
I will certainly post images and information about how the grain rolls.

I ordered from Metro Restyling. (Username: Metromods). I'd do a check for that titanium vinyl though, since I *thought* might have seen it for even cheaper than the aluminum version. Not sure if it was the same user though.

So... 55v8 - I regret to say you were absolutely correct. The 1080 3M material has the grain perpenticular to the rollout.

What a waste of money. Although with this said and now that I have it in my possession, I can see that I don't think I would have been happy with the aluminum anyway. From some angles, it simply looks grey.

Back to the drawing board...

Wait, so it's the exact opposite of this? Can you post a pic of the roll you got?

442561377_842.jpg

Yeah, the brushed aluminum is really somewhat disappointing.

What do you think about the gloss white aluminum though? It's just a tad too glossy but it's the closest thing to the trim color and no grain direction to worry about.

I could take a picture, but really - you're right. It was the *opposite* of what you show there.

However, I have contacted a couple of other vendors on ebay, and have confirmed that their product is 5 feet of continual grain. I've actually purchased both (even though I'm paying double, I know) so I can choose. One is the titanium from 3m (ebay auction 120750842360), and the other is a brushed aluminum from a different (I think) manufacturer. 260839260526. Like I said, in both cases they assured me it would be shipped as you show above.

As you and I both expected, the brushed aluminum from 3m is not a pleasing product for our application. It really just looks grey and not very metallic at all, with a very subtle grain. Even if I got it in the length I needed I dont think I would have been pleased with the end result.

I think the gloss white aluminum would actually be a very pleasing finish. I personally really like the look of brushed, but it does indeed seem that is the closest to OEM available both in texture and in color.

I have a 2010 GT with 13,000 miles.... would I be able to get mine replaced??? My center console are also scratched and peeling. I would love to actually change ALL the trim to the black (I HATE the wood grain in the center). Thanks

I could take a picture, but really - you're right. It was the *opposite* of what you show there.

However, I have contacted a couple of other vendors on ebay, and have confirmed that their product is 5 feet of continual grain. I've actually purchased both (even though I'm paying double, I know) so I can choose. One is the titanium from 3m (ebay auction 120750842360), and the other is a brushed aluminum from a different (I think) manufacturer. 260839260526. Like I said, in both cases they assured me it would be shipped as you show above.

I think MetroRestyling accepts returns, but you have to pay to ship it back though.

I do hope this time these other vendors have it right. If ever you do decide to go with brushed titanium, are you going to wrap all the silver pieces including the door release and those thin ones that run up the console, so that everything will match?

That's fine... I'll just keep it for uses down the road. I already cut a small piece off anyway to test application and appearance.

If I go with the Titanium, there will be an obvious difference between that and the other aluminum-looking parts like the shifter and handles. I *may* try to cover those too. The shifter should not be an issue, but I'm concerned about my ability to wrap the handles since a) They are moving parts which may rub on other parts, b) They are going to be handled regularly, and c) They have quite complex curves and bits which may not be easy to cover - especially since things like the handles cannot be easily removed.

In all honesty, I will probably leave them as is. I don't think having two different metal looks will be *that* bad. I am hoping that the new kind of aluminum I am being sent will be close enough to match.... although if I have enough left over I'll still probably do the shifter trim just because I can....

ok.... I'm done. Since I *know* there will be people down the road not covered by the warranty for this, I'm going to try to make this fairly extensive. I should preface this by saying I used to work with vinyl for a year in a sign shop - but I don't believe that provided me with any significant advantage except for having a professional vinyl squeege - which I highly recommend. Also make sure you have a quality and sharp xacto-style knife to work with, and a hair dryer.

First of all - get the 3M scotchprint product. I tried two different vinyls - and while the "lesser" vinyl had a very nice deep grain to it which I liked, it was far more difficult to work with and was thicker. Second, the discussion between 55V8 and myself is spot on - the 3M brushed aluminum is not very shiny/metallic... nor was the lesser vinyl in brushed aluminum I received. The brushed titanium and I believe brushed steel are far more metallic. 3M product also responds very well to heat, sticks great, releases bubbles far better, and stretches with ease. It is truly a phenominal product and works very well. Also - as our conversation stated above, make sure you buy the vinyl with the grain lengthwise and not sideways. These rolls generally come in 12" or 24", and that is not long enough to cover the trim. A 12X60" roll is enough to cover all 6 pieces, the shifter cover, and the shift knob.

To remove the trim pieces on the console:
1: Remove the large wood trim (black on non-GT models) from either side of the center stack (dash). They simply pull out from their tabs. Start with the bottom - it's easier.
2: Lift up the black shifter plate and remove. (Will need to unscrew shift knob and pop out light bulb) Gently use a screwdriver to pop it upward. Don't try to lift the silver piece itself, as it is screwed into the bigger black plate from the backside. The rubber-faced cubby plate will lift out with it. Once you can get under the cubby plate, separate it from the shifter plate; there is one minor friction tab between the two.
3: Lift up (in the front) and remove trim which console lid sits down on.
4: Pop off the kick plates on both sides, along with the smaller wood trim below the console tunnel. (One tab from each kick plate sits in the smaller wood trim, so they may come off together anyway). You will see two screws at the front of each trim piece - one at the top and one on the lower side. Remove these and then pull the trim piece forward (towards the front of the vehicle) and remove.
5: For the front door pieces, simply pull off. Not sure yet how to remove the back door pieces; they appear to be screwed in from the backside by at least one fastener

With the trim pieces off, clean thoroughly. It helps to also be working in a fairly clean environment. Rub them down with alcohol. Make sure your hands are clean. Any crap that gets caught behind will result in a bubble or a burr.

Some will say this product should be applied dry, and I suppose it is entirely possible. But when I first put the vinyl on, I sprayed the adhesive side with a mix of water and just a little dishwashing detergent. I found this wet method helped the flat sections apply very smoothly and without bubbles... plus it allows you to ensure the vinyl is positioned properly before pressing it down. I then applied it with the squeege.

After this, I found it was easiest to start folding the edges starting with the middle *on both sides*. The reason for this is because with both sides folded over you now have a nice handle with which to work without concern of marring the unapplied vinyl.

I then worked my way towards the tips of the trim piece - cutting it on the backside where fastener plastic pieces were. When you reach the tips, wrap the ends first - then the 45 degree corner area. You could work your way around the corners from one side, but I found working in the middle of the corner helped avoid bunch-up of the vinyl. You can apply without heat when you can, but the corners will certainly require heat and a little stretching to keep from bunching up and folding over itself.

If you mis-apply, that's ok... just lift it up with some heat, a little stretching, and try again. When working - especially on the corners - make sure you don't have too much excess material on the backside or it will be harder to manipulate. However, make sure you have a bit to ensure the edge of the vinyl will never be seen from the front side. Also, if you do have lots of bubbles, don't force them out... be gentle. If you do, the vinyl could bunch up and crease. With that said - you'd be surprised how much you can manhandle this stuff without incident.

Be careful not to apply too much heat. Especially with the lesser vinyls, too much will melt the adhesive and cause it to gum up and not lay smoothly. Make sure you get bubbles out as you go, since they are harder to remove once finished. If you must, you can use a needle to prick a hole.

The first vinyl I received was 3m brushed aluminum. Not only did it have the grain in the wrong direction, but I wasn't really happy with the look. I found two alternatives online: One brushed aluminum from another manufacturer which looked more metallic (but wasn't really upon arrival), and the brushed titanium from 3m. I first applied the aluminum to the console pieces:

IMG_1796.JPG

In some light, it looked darn white. As I said, it was not very metallic either - though I DID like the deep grain.

A few days later, the brushed titanium came and I did the doors.

IMG_1792.JPG

I was much happier with the look of this. I wasn't sure if it would match the other aluminum parts as well (door lever, thin trim across the dash), but it actually isn't too far off in some lights.

I then decided to tear off the aluminum vinyl on the console, use anti-adhesive fluid to remove the abundant adhesive it left behind, recleaned the console trim and did the rest in the brushed titanium. I finally did the shifter plate and knob. I opted to not cut out the black plastic on the right that mimics the shift number plastic on the left. I might still one day down the road, but I think it looks fine.

IMG_1802.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

How long did it take? Screwing with the original brushed aluminum aside, probably about 4 hours in total.

How much did it cost? Besides the first two sets of vinyl I never ended up using, under $30 in vinyl.

Is the job perfect? Actually - this is one of the most successful projects I've done in some time. I would challenge any professional to notice a flaw. Yes, I would say it is perfect. The original brushed aluminum I put on the console was about 99% perfect, and I attribute the flaws to the "lesser" vinyl, and my inexperience.

Last edited:
Back