HOw did you learn

The Jaberwoky

:
'03 P5
So with all of you doing mods on yourcar do you do them yourself and if so how did you learn like were you a big car kid or you just learned thru trial and error but i am completley retarded when it comes to cars and i want to tweak mine so where would be a good source for info

The int4w3b!

Seriously, all work that I've done on my car, someone has already done.. and has documentation on it.

i turned wrenches at a shop here for about 5 years and was in tech school. now i just learn new stuff by hanging around people that do it all the time

i had a 91 accord b4, real pos car. i learned through trial and error... sadly, i still do o_O at least u have the forums to read about other peoples trial and errors so u dont make the same mistake :) peace - chris

Here! :p..... You didn't see that coming. I learned with a VW. Then a Toyota... now the Mazda. Next will be an Audi S8 (laugh)

Just keep reading this forum. you'll be more and more confident as you go

trial and error... you can learn a lot, just make sure that you "think" you can put it back together. I rebuilt a '91 accord auto-tranny by looking at pictures of it... the possibilities are endless, just make sure you know someone with a lot of tools or, even better, get them yourself.

(redp5)
(wrc)

i went threw 8 motor rebuilds on my integra...so that's where i learned. mostly the hardway but that's the only way to find most of the time.

-Alan

I hadn't done more than rotate tires before buying my car and coming here...I've learned a TON over the last 2 yrs, and most of the theoretic knowledge comes from experience members here, while physical knowledge (the doing) has come from trial & error...though taking directions from everyone here usually results in only trial & success...
This place is great

Besides from doing the above "practices" jobs, the first step would be (or atleast helpful) is to learn how a car works. What is connected to what and for what reason etc. From there the mods will start making sense and you can pretty much figure out anything with little help.

I was a mechanic for a few years, grew up around cars, but I knew nothing about these cars. So, I searched a few sites, mainly this one and protegeclub. Went to some (a) meets, talked to the owners and bought what I liked from the stuff that people had good luck with. Still ends up being trial and error.\

And I still learn something new everyday....or so...

i went to a tech school for 3 years. basically they taught me the theory behind automotive systems then we went and did the work on a couple different cars. this seemed to work pretty well, before i do anything ive never done before i will try and find some info on it then just dive into it. or pick up a chiltons or haynes manual and follow it step by step. lots of different options when it comes to working on cars, you just have to find the one that best fits you. (thumb)

Yep learning the techincal why's of a automoblie is a good way to start. Personally before doing anything I like to know exactly what it is doing.
Example:Turbo systems.
You can read a step by step on how to do it, but I feel much better and safer when I know what it is doing etc.

This is the first car I've modded or cared to mod.

Learned the basics from:
www.howstuffworks.com

Great site and THE place to help you understand the main idea behind the parts in a car.

The rest I just learned from this site. Not too much trial & error on my part since I only try to tackle things that won't prevent me from using my car - I rely on it for work. So I just tackle things as I feel more and more confident with tinkering with them.

if you're just learning, this forum (or any forum, for that matter) is the WRONG source for primary information. I say this because this forum is filled with members who have their own bias about what is considered tuning and what truly adds to performance. There are members here (myself included) who focus on things that interest them and act accordingly.

Chances are, no ONE member will be able to help you with what you want, and of the members that can help you, not all of them have a definite idea of what they're doing. Trial and error is a great learning tool, but it is also bad because you can repeat bad habits if you learn through trial and error.

if you want to learn about the TERMS which people unfortunately fling around but have no idea what they mean, I suggest picking up a copy of the Road and Track Automotive Dictionary...you can get it at Amazon for $15.

once you learn what everything means as well as how the different components of the automobile function, then you can safely read SuperStreet or Sport Compact Car - but read carefully. Also, the tuning parts that you can find at your local automotive parts store (i.e., PepBoys, Autozone, etc) are completely BS. When was the last time a neon shift-knob helped to win an F1, NASCAR or CART race?

BEFORE you start 'tuning' your car, I'd suggest that before you spend money on an exhaust or intake or HID's, you should take a performance driving class on a track.

In Southern California, there are track days throughout the year at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs and even Laguna Seca. Sure, they cost money, but a $200 day on the track driving your car at its limit is worth so much more than a CAI.

LEARN how to drive. LEARN your limits. LEARN what you need to improve upon. SPEND your money wisely.

You'll be surprised how good the Protege5 is as a stock vehicle once you've learned what its limits are and apply your own driving limits accordingly.

I personally believe that the Protege5 is a well-balanced car and needs no improvement...well, maybe wider tires (205's instead of 195's) but those will come in due time.

remember: fast cars are for slow drivers but a fast driver can drive any car quickly and effectively.

I think the main key here is self-confidence. You gotta trust yourself before working around your car. You cant think negative because thats when you end up ******* it up. As far as the forum goes, I think its very helpful.

I also make sure that before I touch anything in the car, make sure I know what it is and if its safe to touch.

It takes time to learn, you just gotta have patience and that is also the key :)

Happy Tuning;)

hey man, your from my hometown.

my parents house is on state college n la palma.

i learned through buds who have been doing this for a long time.

Back