How can I change my Mazda CX-9 Cabin Air Filter?

For $4 and a minute of your time (literally), this is a no brainer. This was at 16K, so I'll be replacing every 10K from now on. I bought 4 so I'm good for another 40K.

Picture attached...

Attachments

• IMG_6889.JPG
    IMG_6889.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 1,418
For $4 and a minute of your time (literally), this is a no brainer. This was at 16K, so I'll be replacing every 10K from now on. I bought 4 so I'm good for another 40K.

Picture attached...

Dude you're doing good. I had whole leaves in mine.

I bought my cabin filter at the dealer.
The cabin filter is located behind the glove box. Open the glove box - the back of the glove box is a removable panel; there are two latches on the top edge of the back of the glove box; pull them toward you and the panel comes with.
the air box where the cabin filter resides is exposed when the glove box rear panel is removed. There is a plastic latch on the left side of the air box that, when pressed, will release the access panel (again - pull it toward you) to the cabin filter. The filter just pulls out.
Piece of cake.

Yep, about the same procedure for my third generation Lexus GS.

Stuff like that, I like doing it by myself. (godown)

My dealer (pronounced stealer) wanted $57 installed, parts and labor. I got a cabin air filter at bestusaautoparts for $9.85, S/H free. Here are the installation instructions:

CX9 CABIN AIR FILTER REPLACEMENT001.jpg

Last edited:
The dealer told me it cost $80 to change it - parts and labor. I bought mine TYC filter at www.atozautolights.com for $4.08 each. I ordered 3 of them for a total shipping cost of $6.29. As for how to replace it, it takes 2 minutes. Open the glove box, remove the cover, you will see a white rectangular box. Push on the latch on the left side to remove the cover from this white box, then you will see the filter. Here's the link to the pictures: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...on-a-mazda-cx9. Hope this help save you money.

THANK YOU, JTRAN888!!
This is why I love owner forums. So much good information here. I've learned so much since joining, including vehicle drift due to poor tires, which tires to get and the issue with the blower motor relay. You guys are awesome. Now all I need is to figure out the cheapest place to get rims.

Nice to know the replacement is so easy for the CX-9. On my MS3, it is a serious PITA: need to remove glove box, wiring harness, panels, then reach up into center console and remove the (two-piece) filter. It's insane, totally convoluted; takes about an hour all told. So, here I was thinking Mazda engineers were either idiots and/or trying to drive service revenue to dealers. So, given how easy it sounds for the CX-9, now I just think they're schizophrenic.

Not to defend stealerships (I'm not a fan), but it may be easier for them just to quote a single price for all cabin air filter replacements no matter how hard/easy they are to replace than to make up different prices for each model.

I just received three cabin air filters from RockAuto for $3.10 each and installed one this morning.
2009 MAZDA CX-9 3.7L V6
Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total​
TYC 800111P Cabin Air Filter $ 3.10. $ 0.00. 3 $ 9.30​
Shipping Priority Mail $ 7.49​
Order Total $ 16.79

A coupe of observations:
1. Although the dimensions of the replacement filter match the oem Mazda filter very closely, these are of much flimsier construction than the original (obviously, expected at this price). The original Mazda filter I removed is more rigid; i.e., it does not bend when holding from one corner. When the filter is installed in the air box, it appears to only be supported along the perimeter edge, which leads me to believe that these replacements will sag down over time and allow air to pass through along the edges unfiltered. Has anyone here found this to be true after prolonged use?

2. I broke the retaining tab off of the filter door - the white plastic tab is brittle, and I must have first pushed in the wrong direction (to the left) when trying to release the door and it flew off into the housing compartment never to be seen again! If a rattle develops in the near future, I will naturally blame the replacement filter!

You can fix any broken plastic tab with Gorilla Glue. I did it to the roof rail ... long story.

Has anyone installed the Fram CF10547 cabin air filter? I bought it from Walmart to change on my 2012 GT CX-9, but it's not even close to being able to fit. It's too thick. I'm wondering if someone put wrong filter in the box. It looks like a better filter then stock and the filter is attached to the plastic door as a unit that looks like it will replace the factory door when replaced.

I bought an ATP FA-14, which has a charcoal layer. Excellent fit and really reduced obnoxious new car smells from rubber and plastic.

Satwar,
It says that the ATP FA-14 does not fit the 2011 and newer CX-9.

Has anyone else used this? I was thinking of either this or the TYC 800111P.

it works and is an exact fit.

i just bought one from amazon and installed it.

Satwar,
It says that the ATP FA-14 does not fit the 2011 and newer CX-9.

Has anyone else used this? I was thinking of either this or the TYC 800111P.

Well, I changed out my cabin filter (filthy) today. Of course, I broke the tab on the white cover :(

Anyone know where I can purchase an oem replacement online or can I purchase from dealer?

Thanks.

Wow, that video is great. I just brute forced my way into removing the glove box and didn't even realize there was a panel that came out. In the process I broke this little tab that attached to the glove box, but I can't figure out what it did -- it is obviously some sort of mechanism to soften the glove box opening or maybe even a light switch? My glove box still works perfectly, though.

(feeling dumb)

Back