How bad do you want to get better mileage???

Very nice video.

As for shutting the engine off, I ONLY do that at lights that I know will last for at least 2 minutes, or if I get stuck behind a really long freight train. Otherwise, there's no point to it. It's scary to see hypermilers turning theirs off all the time - downhill coasting all the way without power steering or braking!

Yeah it really generates a lot more pollution to produce a hybrid then engine-only car, and they certain weight more than necessary. But one thing good about them is that it triggers the market for the all the electric motor and batteries development.
Hopefully one day, or before we run out of oil, we can have electric car matching the performance of gasoline car, as well as price.

Josh

Maybe during a downhill rolling you can disengage the clutch, leave it in gear, and shut off the engine, and in the end of the downhill use the clutch and car inertia to start the engine again...
I don't think all this is worth the effort though, just some thought.

Josh

a new record! 32mpg for the first time VS my typical 26mpg. drove 2500rpm and under. nothing near that 43mpg on the first post

gas1.jpg

gas2.jpg

^Proves it works. i always get 31+ MPG just driving near the speed limit and coasting to a red light way ahead (when safe).

Has anyone tried resetting their ECU when they changed these driving tactics? I'd think that would make the ECU re-learn your toned-down driving habits...

I do not think that is necessary. I have noticed depending how quickly I get on the gas and how fast I press the pedal, my auto will shift at different points. If I ease on the gas, it will shift early. If I put pedal to the metal, it will shift later.

Maybe during a downhill rolling you can disengage the clutch, leave it in gear, and shut off the engine, and in the end of the downhill use the clutch and car inertia to start the engine again...
I don't think all this is worth the effort though, just some thought.

Josh

I think shutting the engine off and coasting the car is quite dangerous though extrem hypermilers love to do this
I can't think of driving/coasting car with no steering control

+1 for the suggestion on different gas. I purposely go to Royal Farms here because they do not use E10 gas. If we had higher compression I think it would be like of an idea.

Very nice video.

Amusing, but it proves nothing. The Prius was driven "as fast as possible", which pretty much guarantees it is far from its optimum efficiency. They measured 17.something MPG, which is less than half of what a Prius usually turns in normal driving. The BMW stayed right behind it, about one or two car lengths back the whole time. That would be a bit far for drafting a normal car, but maybe not a Prius, which has unusually smooth aerodynamics. They should repeat the video with the Prius following a large delivery truck being driven "as fast as possible", the Prius would probably get 200 MPG.

It's scary to see hypermilers turning theirs off all the time - downhill coasting all the way without power steering or braking!

For recent cars, yes. Ironically it would be reasonably safe on older cars without power steering, power brakes, or locking steering columns. Power assist is not important for steering at speed, I had a 1980 Corolla without power steering, and the only time it was really hard to turn the wheel was when parking facing downhill. I also owned a 1965 Corvair which had no power anything, and weighed only around 2400 pounds - it was really easy to drive (except when the clutch cable broke).

hmm. if u shut a car off and leave it in gear, isnt everyting still gona be turning? from the trans to the engine to the engine to the pulleys and belts, whic power the power steering, or am i leaving out something?

Amusing, but it proves nothing. The Prius was driven "as fast as possible", which pretty much guarantees it is far from its optimum efficiency. They measured 17.something MPG, which is less than half of what a Prius usually turns in normal driving. The BMW stayed right behind it, about one or two car lengths back the whole time. That would be a bit far for drafting a normal car, but maybe not a Prius, which has unusually smooth aerodynamics. They should repeat the video with the Prius following a large delivery truck being driven "as fast as possible", the Prius would probably get 200 MPG.

Well of course. The Prius depends on regenerative braking to replenish its batteries, and on a 10 lap course driven at full speed, the engine's not getting any assist from the electric motor. That's why the Prius gets better gas mileage city than highway...

I have no idea how 100k would not cut it. You would be able to live very comfortably for 100k a year granted you're not an idiot.

For starters Tax would take 33% and mortgage on your house another $50K or more. So you left with $17K. Food, Gas, Bills, and kids. Forget vacation, maintaining the house or upgrading. Wow what about the habits? Smoking, alcohol. Holidays, birthdays? Don’t forget about a car payment and a gas for it! Commuting to work and coffee break and a lunch. I feel like I am forgetting something.

Yes 100K is very nice if you live with your parents.

Last edited:
hmm. if u shut a car off and leave it in gear, isnt everyting still gona be turning? from the trans to the engine to the engine to the pulleys and belts, whic power the power steering, or am i leaving out something?

Well, yes, on a manual at least everything will still be turning. On automatics how well the transmission can drive the motor will depend a lot on the torque converter. Anyway, assuming a manual, if you turn off the motor in gear then the motor will act like an enormous brake. This is why the hypermilers take it out of gear before turning off the motor.

Tax would take 33% and mortgage on your house another $50K or more.

If you are paying $50K in mortgage per year, and it is mostly interest, after itemized deduction your overall federal tax rate will not be anywhere near that high. Ditto for California state taxes, but other states will likely be different. On the other hand, if you are paying $50K per year in rent, the situation will be as you described it. Which would serve you right, since $4.17K/month is well above market average, even in Manhattan.

This is wandering off topic for this thread.

Back