Hose whine

jimt_01

Hello!

My protoge5 has suddenly developed a faint whining noise whenever I go over 60km/hr from then engine, and I think I can almost hear it when the car is stationary, it seems to be coming from the either the belt or more worryingly one of the two hoses.

I don't know what the two hoses do, I've attached a picture can anyone tell me?

The second hose feels as if it has some high pressure fluid rushing through it.

Ps. BTW thats not my car just a photo I found on the net.

Attachments

• protoge5.JPG
    protoge5.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 126
Those would be your a/c lines. I doubt that's the issue. Does it seem to be RPM dependent? If so, it may be a bad ground on a speaker. I have that annoying noise every so often.

EDIT: 1st post! Welcome :)

Thanks!

Yeah, it seems to only do it whenever I hit the accelerator.

I've been checking around various forums and read about possibilities from alternators to harmonic balancers! I'll have a look at the speakers though.

I did recently change the spark plugs though, is there any possibility of a connection with these do you think?

I definitely does it when the radio is off. I'll have to try and put it into neutral when I drive it next....

How many miles on the car? Are the belts original or have they been changed recently?

56,000km which is 34,000 miles. Difficult to tell but as far as I can see most of the belts etc. look original.

I definitely does it when the radio is off. I'll have to try and put it into neutral when I drive it next....

yeah, mine does that too. it's really annoying. Almost sounds like supercharger wine lol

Thats kind of early for your belts to go bad unless they were over tightened. That would cause premature belt failure. Also if they are over tightened, then that could make your pumps whine and fail. Also a good sign your alternator is on its way out is whine noise coming from it. Don't want to scare you, its just a few things that could be the problem. Are you positive the whine is coming near you belts? Is is more near the front or back of the engine?

Its tricky to pinpoint as its only really "loud" at about 60km/hr, but as best I can tell its front left hand side.

Sounds like a bearing. To troubleshoot further - while the engine is running (so be careful, eh? Many spinning bits in there! No loose clothes, long hair, etc, THINK before you move!) take a long socket extension and take turns placing one end on each accessory and the engine head (with the other end right up to your ear). You can hear EVERYTHING (kinda' cool, eh?). Listen at each place until it suddenly is very loud/whine. That is the bad unit. Replace.

the first one is your low pressure A/C line and the second one is your power steering line.

you can (while the car is on..) get someone to turn the steering wheel left and right and see if the noise gets louder from the p/s line to possibly identify the p/s line as a cause. -or- crank the a/c to full blast to see if it might be the a/c line.

I haven't had a chance to test it with a long socket extension, but it seems to only really make the noise at around 2500rpm...

Mine does the same thing.

Mine is the transmission. Always did it, probably always will. I changed the fluid and it was mint, put gm syncromesh back in with no change. So i deal with it.

Latest posts

Back