Hooking up iPOD with cd changer adapter?

Shiesty2000

:
2003 MazdaSpeed
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>Im usting the stock HU and I just reciently installed the ipod with the cd changer adapter and pluged it into the sirus radio box but the head unit doesnt detect it. Why? I figured it would be in the menu where the options come up to pick whether you want to listen to ex. tuner,cd player, sirus but its not. I thought it would be under cd changer or something.
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>
user_offline.gif
</TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'm not exactly sure how the Sirius works or where it connects to the headunit, because I never got mine hooked up. However, I am using a Kenwood Aux input adapter to covert my cd-changer input to auxilary input which I connected a one side RCA and one side mini-plug cable so that I could plug up my iPod, laptop, etc. It works great but does not charge the iPod or anything. It is selectable in the sorce menu as CD-Changer/Aux.

Adapter is available from Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JJq8J6dipat/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=aux+input+adapter&i=113CAC1AX

i bought that piece today too from crutchfield and am having the same prob as shiesty. i have that adapter coming out from radio..connected to 2-1 rca cable to the ipod... what am i doing wrong?

all i did was plug the din plug in, connect the r/l to the r/l mini stereo plug, and plug in my ipod and it worked. did nothing else but mess with sound settings. seems like it is a little quiet though i have to have the hu at atleast 20 for decent sound and ipod at 95% volume. mid sounds seem to be lost. not sure what to do. i am looking to see if there is a rca that connects through the ipod doc. anyone know if there is or it it would help sound quality?

I dont understand it either it doesnt make sense. Im about to just plug it in directly to one of the rca's in the back.

i got mine to work finally..my problem was that i just plugged in the kenwood adapter in the wrong way (b/c i couldnt take out the radio, i had to blindly plug it in) i had to take the radio out using 2 butter knives as keys to take out the headunit to plug it in the right way. now everything works perfectly....i ran wires nice and cleanly down and out right under the car lighter. lets me control songs via ipod and not the HU

Hey shiesty,

does the sirius tuner use the cd changer connection? If not, I would just get that aux adapter that I was talking about. I doubled checked and as LEXi73 said all you have to do is plug it in, no adittional settings are required.

Hey LEXi73,

Yea, there is a RCA adapter that connects to the iPod dock connector. It is sold at www.circuitcity.com. Here is the link:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nyko...26333/catOid/-14781/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

However, they seem to be out of stock at the moment. Using this cable should eliminate the need for volume adjustment on the iPod. I'm pretty sure that it is basically a pre-out, so any volume adjustment would be done on the headunit. The only problem is that you would not be able to charge while using this cable.

There are some crappy docks out there made by a company called DLO that use the dock connector for sound and charging. The dock has a miniplug output on the side of it for sound output and the dock plugs into the lighter for charging.

I initially bought one of these, but returned it 10 minutes later before I even left the parking lot. For several reasons:

The docks were designed to be universal, so if you have one of the new video iPods, it is too thin and will flop around alot on the dock connector (not good!).

When charging and listening to music, you can hear distortion from the lighter (very annoying!). It sounds like a ticking. If you use the audio output on the dock without having it plugged into the lighter, the sound is great and iPod volume adjustment is not needed.

I believe the cable I was talking about above would give you the same sound quality, eliminate the iPod volume adjustment when connected and you would not have to spend money on a crappy fitting dock or a distortion generating charger.

Last edited:
dirtysouth_msp said:
Hey shiesty,

does the sirius tuner use the cd changer connection? If not, I would just get that aux adapter that I was talking about. I doubled checked and as LEXi73 said all you have to do is plug it in, no adittional settings are required.QUOTE]

Yes it does use the cd changer connection.

Back