Hooking up gauges, need a SWITCHED 12v source fast!

Jordysoso

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I'm on a deadline guys, I need to hook my power wire up to a 12v source. It has to be switched and I don't have time to take my dash apart.

put it in the fuse for the cig lighter, or trace the cig lighter wire from under the steering wheel and tap it

Also, can I use the crimp connectors in place of butt connectors? Or are the essentially the same thing?

umm i think your wrong, when i plug in my cell charger it stops charging the second i turn the car off, but hey take a test light and try it

Come to think of it you may be right... Anyone else wanna chime in? I missed the deadline so now I gotta do it next tuesday.

i believe it's switched too, anything plugged in thinks it's unplugged the moment the car shuts off. go try yourself if you're unsure

Or you could use the fog light switch. All you have to do is pop off the little panel on the side of the dash that you can see when you open the door, pop the switch out and voila.

But isn't the fog light switch only activated when u turn on the head lights? Unless u do the fog mod?

Or you could use the fog light switch. All you have to do is pop off the little panel on the side of the dash that you can see when you open the door, pop the switch out and voila.

Power for the gauges, the power has to be turned on when the car is on. So basically like an ignition switch I should say. Or when you turn your key one click forward the power comes on. Just like the cig lighter, stereo, gauge cluster in dash, etc... This power setup will be for the day(white), however they are going to change colors at night(amber to match the in dash gauges) and that wire is goin to the dimmer switch or fog light switch.

Last edited:
Gotcha. When I had my turbo setup in the P5 I hooked the gauges up to come on when I flicked the daytime lights on. Hope you got it all figured out man.

Oh yeah mine needs power with the ignition bc the lenses on them are tinted. I hope so too! I'll post pics when I get them done, if my car doesn't short out first... Lol

Btw how do I pop that panel off on the side of the dash that is visible when you open the driver door?

use a putty knife or something plastic, butter knife has a good chance of leaving a nice scratch.

Back