Home Audio Question

AlaskaP5

Hey all,

A little different question relating to home Audio.

I have a Rotel Stereo receiver (RX1050) and am looking for some decent speakers for it.

Currently considering
Paradigm Titans ($275 pr)
or
B&W 601 ($350 pr)

I had to look at two different stores to listen to them, so the listen comparison was kinda difficult. Both sounded good at the time.

Does anyone know the quality of the speakers, reliability, manufacturer reputation, etc? Or do you have other suggestions within the <$350 pr price range? There will be no sub, so looking for a pretty full range speaker.

Thanks,
John

Check out Dayton and some of the other brands sold at www.partsexpress.com. They have kits where you put everything together yourself. You can get a little more speaker for your money that way. You can save even more if you build the actual enclosure yourself too.

The B&Ws would be the best match from a manufacturer stand point as they are the same company. I think it would depend more on what sound you like. The B&Ws are very laid back and mellow while the Paradigms have a little more kick to them. Both are great speakers so you need to determine what sound you want from them. I would really look at B&Ws 705 or even the new XT2 over the 601 though, both have a much better sound, though they do cost more.

I'm a big Paradigm fan. I have the Studio 8s which I traded up for from the Titans. THe Titans are very warm sounding speakers, very rich and full and the imaging was excellent. Paradigm has a two year warranty IRCC and I'd recommend them. You will need a sub if you go with the Titan.

The B&W is a slight step up, so it would come down to style and budget if they sounded the same to you. I'm not very familiar with the sound, but I doubt there's anything negative as they would be the next step up from Paradigm. But are they worth the cost? Your call. Neither are going to provide the bass response that a full range or added sub would. They will be great sounding but lacking low end and I would really suggest even a small cheap sub.

Check out Axiom. Newf on here has them.

Both of your choices are great brands that are very reliable. Most speakers are though.

Yeah, with home speakers, you don't really have to worry about reliability. I've got a set of DCM speakers that I've had since highschool (they're about 10 years old now) and they are fine. The only thing I wouldn't invest in would be speakers with foam surrounds since they tend to deteriorate over time.

My JBLs are still rocking and they are 13 years old.
I only went with Focal surround sound stuff as teh JBL sereis was LONG gone.

Thanks for the Info Guys,,,

I think I am going to get the paradigms since the speakers sound the same and the cost savings.

Sounds like a good choice!

If you are interested in DIY though, I'd recommend checking these speakers based on Adire Audio drivers: http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/speakers/complete_kits/

You can even buy awesome finished enclosures from Partsexpress. You just have to cut out the holes for the speakers. The enclosures are beautiful, some black or laminate. The price is dirt cheap for what you are getting as well.

i have been using paradigm speakers for years and will keep doing so for many more years, they just cant be beat for "bang for the buck" performance

i have atoms, cc200 and cc70's and all 5 cost me less than $400

Back