Holset Turbo

Thekid760

:
2002 Protege5
Has anyone ever considered putting a holset HX35 turbo from a dodge cummins on our car?

I know it sounds too big, especially considering it can boost upwards of 30-40+ PSI. Here is some info on the Turbo:
http://www.holset.co.uk/files/2_1_1_3-Holset HX35.php

I have heard of 4cyl imports running this turbo with good results, it has full boost by 3500rpm depending on application.

Here is a compressor map for the Holset HX35 (Don't mind the red dots):
hx35wMap.jpg

And here is one for the T3 60 series like the one ken sells on protege garage:
t3-60.gif

And also a compressor map for a GT28RS:
gt28rs-compressormap.gif

The holset HX35 can be had for around $100-200, and will fit a T3 flange so I could use the OBX manifold, and put together a custom turbo kit for fairly cheap. I don't have the money right now for it, but I need to do a lot of research first anyways.

Any comments or suggestions??? All are welcome.

Last edited:
I found this on a forum talking about Garret vs Holset:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=90399

The Holset is basically equivalent to a GT35 without the ball bearing center section. The comp wheel is a bit smaller then the normal 61mm wheel but roughly as efficent as the exducer sizes are similar. The exhaust wheels are also similar in size. The Holset HX35 12cm housing is roughly equivalent to somewhere between a .63 and .82 Garrett T3 exhaust housing. Spool is a lot like a T3/T4 with a Stg5 turbine wheel and the .63 housing though, with much more top end due to the bigger wheel.

How would this turbo run on our engine? I can get one for free, it just needs a rebuild which I can do for less than $100. So I would like to use it if I could.

Here's a good website:
http://not2fast.wryday.com/

Last edited:
i dont even think our cars could handle the power i assume that thing would put out even at low psi's without needing forged internals.... but i may be wrong.

I think your right, look how much more it flows at 2.0 pressure ratio (roughly 15psi) than the other 2 turbo's.

Here's a comparision, all turbo's @ 75% with 2.0 pressure ratio:

t3 60 series: About 17 lbs/min

GT28RS: About 25lbs/min

HX35: About 30+ lbs/min

obviously these numbers are rough and estimmated, but it shows that the holset turbo is huge by all means, but not out of the range of our cars effective use.

I think it would be a great turbo for a car w/ forged internals, P&P head/intake, cams, tubular exhaust manifold, 3" exhaust, and a good stand alone tuner.

Any other comments or suggestions? The more the merrier.

If this turbo is comparable to a 60-1 turbocharger, then it will be very laggy

(full boost somewhere around 4.5-5K and not much of a powerband). You

could probably find a used T3 super 60 for about the same price and would be

a better fit.

My friend uses one on a 1.6L motor and doesn't see full boost (17-19psi) until 4500rpms. Unless you plan to run 15psi+ its not worth using because even at 15psi the turbo isn't very efficient.

I figured as much, seeing as it's designed to run 30+psi of boost on a 5.9L 6cyl Cummind Diesel. Oh well.

Back