HKS Hiper broke..38K miles

Mike R

Contributor
Noticed and exhaust leak today. Looked and found that the front hanger (one on the pipe, not the muffler) had come off with a chunk of the pipe. I have stock hangers and have AWR mounts, so I'm really surprised that the exhaust broke. I'm going to try and reweld it this weekend, and try to reinforce it too. Hopefully it'll work. Even as cheap as I got it, it was still expensive!(pissed)

Dunno, I don't think it had much stress on it. The motor mounts keep the engine from moving and the stock hangers are flexible, so there shouldn't be any real stress. I didn't get too good of a look at it though, to see if the pipe rusted or it was stressed.

I think this is the most milage on the HKS so far..

I had the same thing happen to my Apex-i N1 Muffler.. The hanger broke off with a chunk of the canister attatched to it... This happened around 40k for me...

Hey, Chris, is there a warranty? It's under a year old!!! ( Got it from you last year during that GB)

Luckily the canister is OK, just the pipe is damaged. It's definately repairable, I just need the time to fix it.

Mike R said:
Hey, Chris, is there a warranty? It's under a year old!!! ( Got it from you last year during that GB)

Luckily the canister is OK, just the pipe is damaged. It's definately repairable, I just need the time to fix it.
yea there is not one, we bought them at the HKS end of year sale that is why they were so cheap

Ah, OK. I've been wanting to pull it off and polish it really well, now I have a real reason to pull it off.

i just got one ... hopefully i won't run into the same problems.

anyways, a little off topic, but did you guys use a gasket in between the stock piping and the axle back piping?

I don't remeber....I don't think the HKS came with one....I don't remember if there was a factory one to reuse....

my hks did the same thing!!!! in the same place!!!! lol.... just get it re-welded and it should be good to go. ;)

Mike R: i'll take a look when i install it.

1FASTMP5: geez... that sucks. you too? i hope mine will be ok!

:eek: WTF? Is this usual for exhaust systems? I'm getting an OBX from the GB, any word on those falling apart/off?

i really dont think anyone has that much to worry about. it's mostly due to the bad stock motor mounts we have stock. super simple to have re-welded at ay muffler shop.....most muffler shop's prob wont even charge you. ;)

Yeah, but I've had AWR mounts for at least the last 30K. That's what bothered me.

I'm gonna do it myself. Gonna break the mig out this weekend.

Back