Hitch mount bicycle racks

TylerZ

Looks like a number of you have found good options and have had good experiences wtih hitch mounted bike racks for your CX-9's.

I'm looking to get a 4 bike rack for my CX-9 - i don't know if having the towpackage option makes any difference but would like to hear from the group.

Curiously, Thule's documentation doesn't recommend putting a hitch mount rack on a CX-9, but that it's OK for the CX-7 - that doesn't make any sense to me. :confused:

At any rate, is something like the Thule Roadway 4 a good option for my rig?

Thanks in advance

I don't know about that particular rack but I just installed a Hidden Hitch and a Tow-ready 4 bike rack. I got both from etrailer and the rack was only $99 including a built in anti-sway device. The rack works great, holds our bikes securely, and it tilts out of the way to open the hatch.

-Mike

I have the Softride 4 bike rack and it is great. It is a little pricey, but I like the movement away from the back of the CX-9 with the bikes on. I got it from etrailer along with the Hidden Hitch.

Check the etrailer.com. Check out their "special" section.
Many bike racks on sale have video showing how they work.
I got my SportRack (3-bike) from etrailer.com also.

If the hitch has a 2in. receiver then it should be able to handle a 4 bike rack plus the weight of the 4 bikes (as long as the total weight does not exceed the rated tongue weight of the hitch).

We use a Thule T2 with the 2 bike extender and travel 180mi. each way to one of the trails we frequent, no issues. Hope this helps. :D
DSC04544.jpg

DSC04549.jpg

Class rating of the 1 1/4" hitch?

Thanks for the replies and references to everyone - does anyone know what the class rating for the hitch on my 2008 CX-9 is? I have the tow package - this may be in my owners manual, but i'm not with the vehicle right now - thought I'd ask in case anyone knows off hand.

thanks

There are alot of options for you as far as hitch racks go. Thule or Yakima are the industry leaders and both make great products that have a lifetime warranty. Depending on the type of swing you want to have for the bikes and how you want them mounted will determine the kind of hitch you need, either a 2" or 1 1/4". If you what one to swing out of the way of the hatch I would look at the yakima swing daddy, it requires a 2" reciever because of the forces it excerts when swung out. If you are ok with it just tilting down then anything with an 1 1/4" reciever should be fine. The Yakima double down is a great rack that tilts down very easyily and can hold up to five bikes if you get the right one. You also have the option of what are called tray racks where the bike is held by the wheels instead of the top tubes. Just depends on what your bikes are and what you prefer. Check yakima.com

I believe the tongue weight for the 2008 CX-9 is 350 lbs if I remember right. Since you have the stock set up you're stuck with the 1 1/4" accessories. Someone on here did rig a setup with a 1 1/4" stinger that went to a 2" receiver and they had a bike rack on it. They said it rocked back and forth a little bit, but I think they remedied that somehow. You might want to search on that, it might help.

etrailer.com is great...thanks for the resource. I was contemplating the U-Haul hitch but I didnt know that it was that easy to install.

Question about the tire-supported bike mounts...do they swivel out of the way to allow access to the trunk/rear storage of the CX-9? The videos of the ones that allow swiveling are the frame-supported mounts. Can anyone verify this for me?

If the hitch has a 2in. receiver then it should be able to handle a 4 bike rack plus the weight of the 4 bikes (as long as the total weight does not exceed the rated tongue weight of the hitch).

We use a Thule T2 with the 2 bike extender and travel 180mi. each way to one of the trails we frequent, no issues. Hope this helps. :D
DSC04544.jpg

DSC04549.jpg

And those and not the lightest bikes on the market either.

DSC04544.jpg

Nice bikes. Looks like you have a DH bike on there too (cool). I opted for the 2 bike system (1 1/4") although when my daughters are old enough to ride, I'll have to think of something else. By then, I'll probably be picking up another car and I'll be putting on the 2" receiver for sure.

Backcountry has great prices on the Thule T2 and the 2 bike extension for those interested. Visit http://ondirtreview.com and click on the "green goat" banner at the bottom and support an environmentally friendly company.

Back