Hit the curb, replaced parts, problems persist

Hey all.

So my buddy hit the curb with his MSP and bent his control arm so bad that he could barely turn his steering wheel, somehow he got it home.

In any case, We replaced the control arm and sway bar links, and the alignment was really off. I tried turning the tie rod end a little to get it closer to a straight wheel, but that made no difference.

Also, there is a consistent noise from the front right wheel that is most audible when coasting, the noise quietens down when you accelerate (ie shift weight to the back of the car). Would this be the wheel bearing?

I will get pictures soon.

Thanks,

Phil.

could have messed up a cv axle. or wheel bearing/hub. jack up that wheel and spin it, listen for noise, then get one hand firm on bottom and firm on top and try to shake it.if there is any play in the wheel hub and bearing need replacement. any noise while turning or issues turning persist? if he hit a curb hard enough to bend a control arm, he hit it HARD it could have busted just about anything, and from my personal experience (medical condition caused me to run over a curb) these cars are very tough underneath. as mine did not bend or break anything in the suspension, just bent the rims. he may have even messed up something in the transmission if it shoved the wheel so hard it knocked the cv axle back into the transmission

Last edited:
The bearing could be the problem, but it could be other things too, like excessive toe-in causing the tires to scrub. Check the tie rods over closely to make sure they aren't bent, check the strut too, since a camber alteration also changes the toe.

You can do a redneck alignment with a couple of long strings and jackstands. Tie the string somewhere to the front bumper just inside the front wheel, and run it along the front wheel and down the side of the car, then place the jackstand just behind the rear bumper and tie the string to it. Use the string as your straight edge, and check if the front wheels are parallel to the rear. Adjust the tie rods as needed. You'll want to have it aligned after, but this will get it close enough so you're not chewing up the tires.

The bearing could be the problem, but it could be other things too, like excessive toe-in causing the tires to scrub. Check the tie rods over closely to make sure they aren't bent, check the strut too, since a camber alteration also changes the toe.

You can do a redneck alignment with a couple of long strings and jackstands. Tie the string somewhere to the front bumper just inside the front wheel, and run it along the front wheel and down the side of the car, then place the jackstand just behind the rear bumper and tie the string to it. Use the string as your straight edge, and check if the front wheels are parallel to the rear. Adjust the tie rods as needed. You'll want to have it aligned after, but this will get it close enough so you're not chewing up the tires.

This is the first I've read of the 'redneck alignment', pretty good idea for a temp fix actually.

could have messed up a cv axle. or wheel bearing/hub. jack up that wheel and spin it, listen for noise, then get one hand firm on bottom and firm on top and try to shake it.if there is any play in the wheel hub and bearing need replacement. any noise while turning or issues turning persist? if he hit a curb hard enough to bend a control arm, he hit it HARD it could have busted just about anything, and from my personal experience (medical condition caused me to run over a curb) these cars are very tough underneath. as mine did not bend or break anything in the suspension, just bent the rims. he may have even messed up something in the transmission if it shoved the wheel so hard it knocked the cv axle back into the transmission

Pretty sure control arms are designed to fail, in the effort to save your frame from bending.

Car runs and drives fine, just hear a weird sound from the front right wheel (kinda far from transmission) and the alignment is off.

Hmmm, you may be on to something with the scrubbing since it does sound like tire tread rubbing against something and considering that the car has so little clearance (lowered), the slight toe-out on the front right wheel could cause it to rub.

Tie rods look straight. I also removed it from the knuckle and it moved smooth as butter along the threads of the inner tie rod end in case my vision might be deceiving me.

Thanks for the tips!

So I looked further into it and spoke to some people and I am hoping that the frame is alright because I have suspicion that it might be bent.

I recall the long stud on the frame of the car behind the strut (when looking into the wheel well) was not pointing straight down like the other side. The only thing that tells me otherwise is that the control arm fit in well and the wheel is in the correct place in the wheel well (equidistant from the fender arch).

Anyone have any ideas of what I can check on the subframe to make sure that the frame is alright?

Back