Hissing sound from intake

Echelon

:
'03 Mazda Protege5
hey.
i noticed this the other day. i realize your intake would hiss anyway, but this is pretty damn loud.
I have a CAI right now, and its been installed for about a year.
This hissing sound, which is coming from my left fender where the filter is located, kickes in when im idleing and goes away once the engine is up to about 2000RPM. Its not the the engine noise drowns it out, the hissing sound stops.
I pulled off my filter to check for damage, but it seems ok. Ran it withouth the filter and its still there, still loud.
I pulled the battery off, let it sit for a few minutes and reconnected it. Iv heard this forces the computer to reprogram different variables like the MAF and whatnot, not sure how much truth is in that but it made sence to me.
I cant tell for sure, but i think its not as loud as it was. Hard to tell.
Any thoughts on this? Am i overlooking something really stupid? Do i really really have to take it to the shop?
Thanks in advance

The Hissing is normal ,nothing to worry about ,mine does it as well . A SRI will do it but to a lesser degree.

I really never hear it unless I turn the car off, or like a split second after hitting the gas, it does a quick whoosh then sound is gone. Car runs fine though, so I dont worry bout it.

Me 4 and I also love the whoosh when you tap the gas.

and the PPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSsssssssss........ when you turn her off.

I love that sound as well.

When I pull in the garage I make sure my window is down just so I can hear that Pssssssssshshshshs sound when I turn off the car.

^^^^^HAHAHA me too.

I turn the radio off, lower the window, open the door, make sure headlights are off, and do a quick turn of the key and pull it out so I dont get the dumb beep. The sound is so freaking cool.
Maybe I should get a audio recorder, make it into a CD and play it when I turn the car off at full volume :D

hmmm, if we like this sound so much, I wonder how it would be with a turbo and BOV.

I just installed a simota CAI and the hissing, sucking and wooshing is the best part, oh and the growl...why else does everyone install an intake anyway? for better flow or something??? :p

I love when you shut it down and some one's walking in front of the car... and the do the double take... like "Did that really come from that P5 "...

Love it !!!!

hahaha, yeah, aint it great, intake/header/exhaust its all cause of the sound, not cause of any HP gains or crap (which aint gonna be much anyways)

Huascar82 said:
hahaha, yeah, aint it great, intake/header/exhaust its all cause of the sound, not cause of any HP gains or crap (which aint gonna be much anyways)

intake/header/exhaust, makes a nice difference

While the intake makes a great sound, it does produce gains through the power band (Everything isnt always about peak), but most important it make BIG improvements on throttle responce. It also works with the other mods to make them work better. If you dont think so, Remove it from a car with headers/full exhaust line/cams, & cam gears/udp, and see the diff.

& when just intake/header/exhaust make a 17.2 car run 16.0 (or soon to be less) You know it takes some gains to make over a 1.2 second diference in the 1/4mile

If you think our Protege is slow (well the 5spd) you need to drive some other cars in its class.

The...
Ford Focus
Civics (Non Sir/Si)
Sentra's (Non SE-R SpecV's)
Neons (Not the SRT-4, or R/T)
and a bunch of others I dont feel like thinking about
are SLOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm sure it does make a difference but at least for me, unless I raced or did 1/4 mile races I wouldnt feel it. I'm very dense unless I feel a big difference. But I'm not complaining, I like my car. Would those gains be felt/seen on an atx car? Oh what others? maybe I can make a list of cars I can race and expect to beat and not be dumb enough to go up against some other car that may look like crap but can leave me in the dust.
Yeah I like taking the easy way out, makes me feel better. :D

Back