High Flow Cat

80 bucks is cheap in my book. the high flow for my old focus cost almost 200 bucks. i mean given it was stainless steel....

TuRbOtEcTicS said:
why isnt it worth it? Seems pretty cheap.

in my experience, if you are going to spend the cash to modify the exhaust system, make it as a free flowing as possible. even with no second cat in place, the gain on a naturally aspirated 3 is going to be marginal at best. so you see, switching to a hi flow cat won't net you much. i've been told by a few mazda techs that the 3's emissions system was designed to be as efficient as possible. like on the rx8, playing with the exhaust got people a max of 3 or 4 horsepower at best. modern exhaust systems are not only very clean, but very efficient as well - not like the big block v8 days of yore where an exhaust would net you 20 ponies.

that said, going with an intake, catless exhaust with a header (yes i know, none exist yet) as a combination will make a more noticable difference.

chrisyoung10 said:
is it legal to take off the 2nd cat?

Therein lieth the rub.

NO! It is not legal to remove emission controls on a road-going vehicle.

A high-flow cat may give you minor gains but on the flip side, it will give you minor losses to stay legal.

True, you may never get caught. But what if you do?

Besieds that, your dealer would be well within their rights to void your powertrain warranty if you removed any emission controls. For that matter, they could do the same if you modify the system but they're more likely to be lenient if they see you're making an effort.

of course if you live in maryland emissions testing consists of them plugging in your car for about 10 seconds then telling you that you passed. in md as long as your car isn't throwing codes, is obd 2, and isn't smoking, you pass.

Exactly, it depends on where you live....for example..I live in Florida and there are NO emission tests/laws.......as long as people behind you can see....it doesnt matter whats coming out of your pipes........I'm going w/ no cat, but I ordered the hi-flow anyway b/c I dont want it to be too loud.....When I receive my system I'll see if I like it w/ no cat...if so I'll sell you the Hi flow for at least 1/2 of what they are asking....Its a Draxas system by the way, they are expecting to ship them out on Feb. 7th, so sit tight if you want...hope this helps

So basically it 1st depends on emissions in your state, and then its up 2 you

Removing emissions controls is against Federal law.
Just because your state doesn't have emission testing, doesn't make it legal to remove the cat.

tgv121281 said:
I'm going w/ no cat, but I ordered the hi-flow anyway b/c I dont want it to be too loud.....

trust me the high flow cat won't make it any less loud than no cat at all. when i put a high flow on my focus it made my nice borla muffler sound like rice.
also with the federal law thing if anyone actually got fined there would be ALOT less honda civics on the road near me..... considering they think straight pipes with can mufflers are "the coolest thing ever"
i realize it is illegal but the chances of getting fined are very low. the only way i could think of getting caught for no cat is.... smuggling drugs and they broke out the mirror... or rolling your car and getting it stuck on its roof.

You're entitled to do whatever you want, of course. I'm just pointing out the law because the question was asked.

goldwing2000 said:
You're entitled to do whatever you want, of course. I'm just pointing out the law because the question was asked.

oh i am not calling you out or into question for that, i hope i did not come across that way at all

ok sorry to jack this thread but i need to no before i order and i figure this thread already has to do with this. im getting a draxas exhaust. i live in ohio were there is e check. should i get just hte exhaust and leave the 2 stock cats, get the high flow or get ride of the second one and just get the catback. im going for performance and not ricey

performance wise you won't notice the difference. as for the e-check it depends on the type they do. it could be tailpipe or it could be obd type. obd type meaning they plug your car in without doing the tailpipe test. find out before you remove a cat.

most likely with the extra flow it will probably sound ricey. suposedly a resonator will help tune the exhaust down. i never got that far with my focus since it was sold shortly after i put the headers and hi-flow pipe on it.

does anyone know if the cat is obd2, which i guess means that the o2 sensor is in the cat or not, i get my exhaust in next week but need a cat

Back