HID options?

I have a Mazdaspeed 3 sport and I was thinking about getting 55W HID's any concerns for glare and heat? I have 35 Watt kit currently and they are really bad as far as light output. I do not know if I should go 35W HID with retrofit clear lens or 55W HID with retrofit clear lens or 55W with standard lens.

Anyone with these setups?

The problem is that you are running 8000k HID. You effectively reduced your light output because you wanted blue/purple light. The higher up the scale you go, the less you are going to be able to see. You get the most visible light just to the yellow side of white.

I presume you are trying to get the blue look like some of the cars that come with HID from the factory. Next time you pull up beside one of those cars, take a look at the light puddle in front of them. Is it blue? No. Its slightly yellowish. The blue you notice is a chromatic aberration caused by the optically clear lens on the projector and you only see the blue when you are looking at the headlight. You don't see it as blue from inside the car.

If you really want to duplicate the look AND have good useable light output, use the 35W kit with 4500-5000k bulbs and replace the stock projector lens with an optically clear one. There are posts here with pictures of that.

Going with 55w is illegal for road use and would really be hazardous to other drivers.

Last edited:
+ 1 to what Rotus said. Go with a 35W 4300/4500K kit from DDM Tuning and purchase a set of the TRS lenses and you'll be amazed at the results.

I wanted the blue color also, however, in my sport MS3 set up, I had 6000k with the stock halogen projectors and the light output sucked ass....I baked my headlights and swapped the lens, AND did the spacer MOD (which is what gives the blue flicker look)...and I took out the 6000k bulbs and dropped in 5000k HID bulbs from DDM... My light output is ******* AMAAZING now! And I love the flicker/cutoff too!! You can see it very clearly on people's bumpers in front of you or in window reflections! ;)

Back