HID Fogs = Poor radio reception?

Protege_Speed

:
2002.5 ES Auto with MSP Conversion
I have installed HID fogs in my 02 Mazda Protege and my 03 Mazda Tribute. In both instances, I replaced the stock fogs and reused the stock wiring. I have noticed that whenever I turn on the HID fogs, the radio reception in both cars significantly drops. I then purchased the wiring option that wires the HIDs directly to the battery thinking that would help but no luck. Both cars still have their stock radios. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know how to go about fixing it?

Is it just radio reception? Does it happen when playing cd's or mp3's?

Tylor

I can confirm that it only happens when I use the radio. It doesn't affect the Cd-Rom. It seems like the HID fogs are either interfering with the power to the radio or antenna. I'm not too familiar with electronics but is there power to the antenna? Could it be interference or could it be that the HIDs are drawing too much power and the radio is not getting enough. I don't see the radio lights dimming though. Any more suggestions.

do you have any of your ballasts installed close to you antenna wire ? Could be some sort of disturbance / field.

Like running your power and signal wires (I think it's those two) for your stereo together.

Ballasts are in the front bumper. I don't think it or the its wires are near the antenna wire. I reused the stock fog wiring in my Tribute and it's doing the same thing. There is a buzz coming from the ballasts but I thought that was normal for HIDs.

mine does the same thing.. didnt go when i did the headlights, but after i did the fogs, the radio went fuzzy on weeker stations, other than that, its not to bad.. but its werd that it did it with the fogs, and not the headlights.. hmm i wounder if its on the same fuse/circut or something

Attachments

• protege fast road.jpg
    protege fast road.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 155
mine does the same thing.. didnt go when i did the headlights, but after i did the fogs, the radio went fuzzy on weeker stations, other than that, its not to bad.. but its werd that it did it with the fogs, and not the headlights.. hmm i wounder if its on the same fuse/circut or something
That's exactly it. The weaker stations are affected more. I have a station that I listen to when I am work that is pretty weak but once I put the fogs on, I can only get static. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to fix this? I may be changing the radio in the future but I would hate for it to still be a problem when it's changed. I'd like to fix it first.

ill let you know if i find a fix for it, i plan on doing somw work to the car in a month or two, when it warms up a bit.. i plan to try a few things then to trace the issue

Back