HID Bulb Melted my Headlight

Demento

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD - Crystal White
I bought a HID conversion kit from Kensun, 600K. h11 Bulbs for my low beams. Looked great for about 2 weeks.

Installed them just fine, made sure they were seated firmly in their sockets. However I was lazy, and didn't secure the ballasts anywhere. I tucked them around a part of the body and they hang relatively securely there, away from any moving or heated parts. However I believe the location of it possibly put pressure on the wires leading to the bulb, causing it to slowly rotate out of their locked position. Perhaps when I pulled out of a driveway or hit some bump, it caused the light to unseat. In this process, the very hot bulb rode against the side of the 3-prong twist socket, and melted a good third of it. So now I cannot put the light into the socket securely. It can't twist/lock into place anymore.

The other side seems fine. I secured the ballasts in place and there is no unnecessary tension on the bulb wires.

Now I need to replace my headlight, So I've got a few questions.

1) Can I just replace the socket hole part? Ive looked through assembly schematics online and don't think I can locate or replace such a piece.

2) Do you think I can secure the bulb into the socket by some means of zip ties, tape, etc? The bulb has the 3 locking/prongs to twist around. 2 are intact, so I can kind of hold the bulb into those 2 good spots, then maybe secure it in place? Id like to try this before spending around 200$ to replace the light.

3) If i need to replace the whole headlight, has anyone had good luck with buying "Comparable OE" headlights like this

http://www.carparts.com/details/Maz...uI5BvE8a0YtRRIHm3hBFxawNoqJG4TRmfAaAh1o8P8HAQ

Or should I fork out the 220-ish for a Mazda OEM replacement? Im worried buying a single will look differently from the other if i go with the linked item.

Thanks!!!!

1) No
2) I guess you could, but sort of ghetto. :)
3) check ebay... they aren't terrible on ebay.

BTW, did you buy a 35W kit or 55W?

I would probably just buy the OEM replacement but you could possibly try a plastic welder.

image_11982.jpg

Depending how bad the plastic is, if you have a Dremel tool with small sanding drums you might be able to sand down the melted section of the plastic and use the two twist locks. Some creativity most likely will be required.

I figure I might take the ghetto route. I mean the headlight assembly/housing essentially can't get any worse.

I bought the 35W kit. Im pretty sure it was my lack of ballast mounting that led the light bulb to come undone, then kind of just slowly get pulled out of the socket. Meanwhile the very hot bulb was in contact with the plastic.

The problem being that the hole is TOO BIG now, rather than too small.

You can go ghetto. But as soon as winter comes around. The headlight will fog up with water. My 350z barely had a tiny space in the bulb housing from me cutting too big. Light took on a good 1-2 ounces if water. Literally. I am a total after market type guy but I'd go OEM. If you go after market you normally want to replace both so they match.

You can go ghetto. But as soon as winter comes around. The headlight will fog up with water. My 350z barely had a tiny space in the bulb housing from me cutting too big. Light took on a good 1-2 ounces if water. Literally. I am a total after market type guy but I'd go OEM. If you go after market you normally want to replace both so they match.

Well, if he is going full blown ghetto, some RTV can seal up his air leaks. But, I generally agree with you, the right way is the correct way in this situation.

Back