Hi, new to this thing, have'n car problems need some adivce.

jake595

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
Hello, My name is Jake I own a 2001 Blue MP3. Im new to this whole forum thing so go easy on me. My car has 150000 miles on it and it started smoking on start up and burning oil. I did a search and saw one post that said it was the valve guides. 1st Question, how could you test to narrow it down to worn piston rings or leaking valve guides? 2nd question, where to find good used heads? thanks for the help.

Do a compression test........ Quick and easy way to check your rings. I would change out the PVC valve first before going after the head.

Rob

so a compression test would rule out a valve problem? and how does the PVC valve cause the car to burn oil and smoke? thanks for the info.

Compression test will rule out a ring problem if I remember right. My PVC sucked.......I am turbo'd on a built motor and I swapped to a diffrent PVC system and my massive smoking problem went away. That is why I suggest it.

Rob

Easiest way to determine without testing to find out whether it's one and/or the other is to look at when and how it is leaking oil. If you get a big puff of blue smoke at startup, the valve seals are done. If you get a little blue smoke all the time, chances are it's the piston rings.
A compression test will help determine whether the rings are bad or not, but a full leakdown test will test a few more things as well.

As for where to find a head/engine, there are a lot of scrap yards around the country, and there are a lot of rather fresh heads being sold on these boards on a pretty regular basis.

Thanks for the great advice and info, so far I changed out the PCV valve and no smoke on start up. WOW I love $10 repairs. I still plan on doing a compresion test just to find out how well the engine is doing. Thanks Rob I would have never even thought of the PCV valve.

Last edited:
Your welcome............. Yes I do give simple cheap advice, some of the time I am right :)

Rob

yeah! I know Im low on oil when it stops smoking, I have come to the conclution that I need a new head or rebuild the old head. What is the process in replacing the valve guides. I still need to do a comp test on the cylinders. At this point Im weighing (sp) out my options as far as selling it as is or dumping more cash into it.

I saw something at one point about using the Leak Down test method to replace valve seals. However I would suggest taking the head off and giving it to a machinest to fix.

I will tell you I took mine to a machine shop and had a valve job done, yea sounds dirty. However after putting it all back together I still have smoking. Which I was only hopeful that it was my valve seals. But looks like I'll be ripping it apart again and replacing Piston Rings.

Basically now my oil only burns for a little until the engine warms up. Then I'm guessing my piston rings have expanded slightly and don't let the oil through. Also when I had the head off Cyclinder 1 was slightly lower then all the others, so I think I'll be getting a new Connecting rod for that as well.

Set of 4 Rings I have seen for about $45
1 connecting rod I have seen refurbished factory for about $45

Complete Engine Gasket set with valve seals was $60(1A Auto)
Machine shop charged me $120 for the valve job, dunno how that rates with what others have paid. Can also get ones predone and just have to return yours, its about $400 or so at most places I've seen.

Hope this helps

pull the plugs out of the motor and pour a capful of oil into each cylinder, crank the motor for a split second a few times. if your engine has cylinder wash & leaking piston rings this is one way to make it stop if it hasnt gotten too bad, otherwise youll have to replace the rings

Back