Greetings from Michigan

Mordru

2021 CX-9 GT
Hi everyone, 1st post. I just bought a used 2021 CX 9 Grand Touring with 70k miles from a stealership. I'm coming from a 2015 CX 5, ended up selling it to Carvana.

Overall I love the drive of this car, it feels great and responsive. The bells and whistles are great too.

I wish I did a little more research before purchasing, as I now discover my VIN falls within the range for the valve seal issues... So I'll be keeping an eye on that oil level.

Another thing I didn't notice at the stealership when I was test driving was that the coolant level was low in the overflow res.. Like below the minimum line. I didn't discover that until I started investigating why I wasn't getting good heat in the cabin.

So, I went from excited new owner of a cx9 to an anxious owner :(

Any words of confidence someone can offer to make me feel better about my purchase? 😂😂😂

If you bought a used two-three year old 2021 from a dealership, I assume you got the 7 year/100k CPO warranty?

Did you get a complete service history of the vehicle and/or a Carfax report confirming its maintenance history? With 70k on it, hopefully the vehicle got regular maintenance and attention to any potential coolant problem? The fact that the coolant level was so low that the vehicle would not heat up is not a good sign so I would watch this carefully.

Last edited:
Yes it was a 1-owner car and the Carfax was clean with maintenance records.

Update on the coolant situation:
- I refilled the res 1 week ago, slightly overfilled actually. Didn't bother to remove the excess.
-I checked the res every 1-2 days, the level remained the same (with daily driving) for 3 checks.
-On the 4th check today, the res was EMPTY again! I think my last check was 2 days ago and the level was unchanged.

I haven't noticed any puddles on the ground, but it's been a wet couple days outside.

Car is not overheating while driving at all. Temp stays under the mid mark.

Any guesses? It can't be burning it since that would be a gradual emptying of the res, not a sudden "dump"? My best guess is some condition while I'm driving is causing a leak (or rather pushing coolant towards a leak)

Did you buy from Mazda dealer? How long ago did you buy it? Suggest taking it back asap and hopefully they'll do you right with the fix. There is obviously a problem somewhere that will only get worse over time.

If there is any kind of return policy for that vehicle I'd get it done ASAP. I have not been following too closely with regard to the exact years that have the infamous head gasket leak but you may have that problem. It's at the back of the block so would not be that noticeable search this forum and you will find the info.

This is one thread regarding that leak. 2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

The leak 'could' be an easy fix, but loosing that much coolant in that short a time is totally unacceptable.

If your state has any consumer protection laws that may come into play you may want to look at that as well. I am afraid you may have an expensive repair on your hands otherwise.

I bought the car less than 2 weeks ago. The dealership was not Mazda. I'll give them a call later today but I have a strong feeling they will not honor any sort of return.

I wouldn't think its the cracked head issue as this is a 2021, the TSB for that issue stopped after 2020?

I hope its a minor issue as I really do enjoy this car 😑

Good to know your not in that group with the issue. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix and that they do the right thing on the repair. If they won't then a reputable shop should be able to fix you up.

I called local Mazda dealer and they charge $150 diag fee, so to start today I'm just going to rent (free) a coolant pressure tester and see if I can find anything out.

Who did you buy it from, an authorized car dealer or some independent place? Most places I know of give at least some kind of warranty.....30 days? Since you only bought it two weeks ago, I'd take it back to the dealer and demand they fix it. Check your state auto sales laws.....you may have a right to sue for the repair cost if they don't buy it back or fix it or reimburse you to have it fixed. It costs less than $70 to file a small claims court claim and simply receiving a notice to appear in court might work to get the selling dealer to fix it. Document all your correspondence.

Last edited:
I bought from an actual car dealer, not an independent. Honestly though, I think I'm screwed on the whole legal basis that the dealership is responsible for anything once I drove the car off the lot. The dealer is close to a 2hr drive away from me anyway so I won't be showing up on their doorstep making demands.

The coolant system pressure test is indicating I have a leak somewhere. I brought it up to system pressure, and within a couple minutes I already lost 1 PSI. Looks like I'll be playing "Where's Waldo" this weekend finding the source of the leak.

No way the hoses are giving out already considering this is a 2021? Hmmmm...

Anyone want to loan me their clean, dry garage so I don't have to roll around on my cement driveway? LOL

I hear you but the dealer sold you a flawed vehicle. Have you asked them to make it right yet? Warranty or not, the right thing to do is for them to fix it. If it was me, I'd do the following. I'd call the dealer and get their answer and if they refuse then advise you will be suing in your local small claims court. For a $50-70 filing fee they will receive a subpoena and they will be required to drive the two hours to appear before a judge and explain why they shouldn't have to fix the vehicle. Can't imagine a reasonable judge not ruling in your favor. But just the fact that they receive a subpoena should get your desired results. Anyway, your call but good luck.

Thank you for the advice. I did call my salesman since your message and he said "they would have to see it". He made no indication they would take care of it free of charge. He wouldn't guarantee anything. My worry is I take it there and they will give me the run around and not fix for free in the end.

Well best to find out or you could be facing a repair bill on your own. Only you can decide if it's worth a few hours of your time to take it up with them first.

Agree above. They offered to see your vehicle. They have not refused to fix it yet. You now have to give them the chance to make it right since they did not refuse during your call. As above, you need to decide if you want to spend the time with the drive. If they give you the run around during your visit then my last message applies if you want to proceed.

Jacked her up and took the engine plastics off. Might have broke a couple push pins in the process 😆

I found one leaking spot, not sure if it's the only spot but it's something. It's the right "collar" at the bottom of the radiator that connects the hose to the radiator. It was definitely wet with coolant. The left side was bone dry. I'll dry it and check again in the morning to confirm. Gonna leave the plastics off and lay some cardboard to see if I can find any other leaks.

Do I just replace the "collar" and move on with my life? Anyone know how much of a job that is for a DIY'r?

1000004800.jpg
Wet

20240110_175625.jpg
Dry

20240110_170514.jpg

How many miles? Still under factory warranty?

Keep an eye on coolant reservoir. Check it under the same conditions (say before cold start in the morning) for a few weeks.. Most likely has updated cylinder head design (we should be able to verify this?? Are there actually '21's affected? And if so what VIN range?).

WRT oil consumption, can you verify in service history if it has had the recall? If not, just monitor over the next couple changes.

I would just drive it and enjoy!

70k miles, it's outside all warranty now. We're living in the danger zone.

Yes I believe the cracking head issue stops at 2020.

I didnt see it being serviced for the oil consumption tsb in the records. Ive checked the oil level 3x since I bought it 2 weeks ago and the level hasn't changed yet. On that note, the oil looks healthy as well.

I'll better enjoy this car when I get this dissapearing coolant issue taken care of 😁

Back