Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Crazy D

:
MP5 02 22v
Hey guys need some help...

I'm making a radiator cover... (Well we'll see what it is when I'm done)

But here is my Paint question:

The sheet of metal has some small dent and scratches from when it was cut... I found a primer that fills that out for me but I'm afraid if used that w/ theblack 1200degree temp paint on it it might bubble cuz of the heat ? (You think it will ?)

My other problem is that I want to but the Zoom-Zoom Sticker on it and I'm afraid the heat might F it up...

So any help as far as what paint I can use and in reference to the sticker would help..

Sorry for the quick post ... I'll fix it later if it doesn't make sence...

Gotta go,

Once again Thanks guys

*******EDIT
Want to paint the front OEM S. Bar should I and if so Silver or Black ?
(see pg 2)

Last edited:
you could always use the zoom-zoom decal as a stencil of sorts, with two colors of high heat paint. I'm not sure about primer though, do they even make a 1200 degree primer? Not that you need it to go that crazy high-temp for a radiator cover.

Yah I would agree if its just to cover the radiator it shouldn't be a problem. Also as long as you have a high temp paint over the primer thats all that matters.

Thanks guys... so since it seems that the temp is not gonna be much of a issue in that area; is it safe to say that I can put the "Zoom-Zoom" sticker on the top and give it maybe... 3 -4 Coats of Clear ?

Just to ensure the sticker doesn't come out and to protect such aswell ?

Thanks for the input...I'll post pics of the engine bay once I put everything back together

yah, with the clearcoat on there you shouldn't have any problems. Even with out the clear coat the sticker should be fine.

I have never seen high temp clear but either way you should be good. I have seen this done a few times without clearcoat.

Pics when done??

Crazy D said:
Thanks guys... so since it seems that the temp is not gonna be much of a issue in that area; is it safe to say that I can put the "Zoom-Zoom" sticker on the top and give it maybe... 3 -4 Coats of Clear ?

Just to ensure the sticker doesn't come out and to protect such aswell ?

Thanks for the input...I'll post pics of the engine bay once I put everything back together

Hey, gonna be around the weekend of October 6th? I'll be back for that weekend and would like to stop by and see your car again sometime. lol Let me know. -Later

shane02pro5 said:
I have never seen high temp clear but either way you should be good. I have seen this done a few times without clearcoat.

Pics when done??

Yup I didn't either.... but after some research / Numbers and other things this is what I've done so far... (I'll post pic's)

I got the the Filler Primer (this paint is thick as hell)

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/primer.html

Then after 2 coats of this (playing it safe/wet sand after 2nd coat) I used this Engine paint

1200 degrees F (gave it 4 coats of it /wet sand after 2nd coat) ..."yeah I'm crazy"

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

Not but not least the clear...lol

Since I was on this site... a looked around for a while and ended up getting this clear

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

resistance to: chemicals, cleaning solvents, heat and chipping

So far day 3 and I've given it 3 coats of clear...I just don't want to do this again...

I have a couple more ideas... but so far it looks like its going to work...*cross fingures*

Ok...just adding some pic's (not finished, but you get the idea) and sorry about the bad pics... Battery on my Cam is dead...had to use the stupid Cel

This is the (Kind of) finished sheet...
091206_21551.jpg

Here is the Zoom-Zoom sticker... almost same match to the car color
091206_21552.jpg

and for the heck of it... here is a pic of my "Manny" cover...(lol2)
(For those who don't get the bad joke...My names Manny)

This is Flat black...

091206_21571.jpg

There is acouple of other things...but I'll post as I move along

Pat I'll be around on the 6th...give me a ring

Chris, does that paper on the table look familiar ?

Last edited:
Sounds good. I'm guessing that paper was in the box with the exhaust you got from Chris, am I right? lol :D

KronixKid22 said:
Sounds good. I'm guessing that paper was in the box with the exhaust you got from Chris, am I right? lol :D

yeah...lol

I got tons and tons of that paper... now that I think about it I think he charged more for the paper and bubble rap than the axelback

I see the pics now. :p that box is the box my racing beat cat-back came in, so yeah it was a bit overkill for the mazdaspeed axleback :p

Hmmm...I like the idea. Maybe I will finally get out my butt and cut the piece in my garage for this.

Foot note: Don't use clear on Black if the Temp is under 60 degree's... it turns everything in to F'ing white....(Re-paint)

Once I'm done with everything... I'll post full details from start to finish

altspace said:
You must be talking about air temp. Yea, cold air and any paint don't mix well.

yeah... didn't work out to good....

So I redid everything against the cold air... Still sucked, so now I have to wait for a better warmer day (yea...in CNY ?!?!?)

So for the heck of it before I put my 3rd try in... I put it in to see if there is anything I might have to change... and I did find some minor problems...
I'll take care of those - repaint the piece... and by the way scratch the clear of the paint list... if you have the weather for it, then go for it if you don't forget it (I kind of like the flat/satin look)

So here are some test pics of what it might look like once its done, any feedback would be great:

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

So I'll repaint everything again... and take it from there

Last edited:
Back