Hesitation on accelerating

gino

:
'03 P5, '14 iTouring hatch, '04 Honda S2K
Wife's iTouring manual drives me nuts when accelerating from a stop. Unlike my P5, which has a smooth transition in speed as you hit the accelerator, her car will hesitate unless fed what I consider more throttle than necessary. Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, my automatic iTouring feels the same way. I had a 2008 4-cyl Altima (and I currently have a 2014 4-cyl Rav4) which both had/have much better immediate response on the accelerator. But the Mazda3 gets better gas mileage, so I think the response may be dialed-down a bit in order to get better fuel economy. When I drive the Rav4 after driving the Mazda3 for a few days, I always gun-it by accident because I'm used to stepping harder on the Mazda3 for it to move. I'd love for the Mazda3 to be that responsive, but I'm sure fuel economy would suffer, and I also really like the fuel economy of the car. (Of course, I have the small engine, so ... it's what I bought.) At higher speed it doesn't hesitate as much.

I noticed that too. I'm almost relieved it's not just my car. A little disappointing. But, oddly, once it has a little momentum, it really seems to kick in and GO. (manual iGT hatch here).

I just got a new I touring manual with still under 300 miles and feel its peppy from the start in first, second etc. Did the slowness kick in later or from the get-go?

When I said "same with mine" I meant that it just about a week old. But I am NOT experiencing anything but quixk acceleration. So maybe its the automatcs that are suffering, because mine is six speed manual. Is yours auto?

Same with mine, so you are getting lag? Or not? Btw, did you get your m3 at colonial!

Mine is a manual. iGT hatch. Yes, Colonial.
About 5 days old, 300 miles. It hesitates not all the time, but on occasion, and only from a stop into first gear. Part of it is probably just getting a feel for how it gears. Coming from an 09 Fit which has a very different box (but oddly started to develop a similar issue). Another thing to consider is that I've had the AC cranked almost every day I've had it, since the weather has been icky sticky here in the NE (man, that was a long Spring -- gonna be a short summer).

I guess you could call it "lag." Again, it's intermittent, but when it happens, yeah, I'll swap the clutch for the gas, and it seem like there's a split second that passes before any _real_ response. It responds, but not like I want it to. I don't think I could get the tires to chirp, for instance.

It would be interesting to get together to compare rides. If I could see a noticeable difference, I'd have something concrete to take to the service dept.

I think this is normal, but yours probably is more prominent than others'. Ask your service adviser to ride with you and/or take a drive in another one.
The Skyactiv-AT locks up torque converter at 5mph (much earlier than most other AT@ 6th gear).
That is how it saves MPG.
If I pay attention, I can feel it locking.

Funny, we must have gotten them at virtually the same time at colonial. Its really a 2nd car for me.. I turned in a lease-end 2012 vw golf at danbury vw. I looked at and tested the new 2015 revised golf, but outside and in it seemed the same old. I came across the m3 online and fell for it. I think colonial only had three manuals left, I think 2 were gts and I wanted the I touring with tech... I'm very happy with the car and the lease deal. Who was your salesman? What did you think of your deal and the dealership? You can pvt message me.

Mine is a manual. iGT hatch. Yes, Colonial.
About 5 days old, 300 miles. It hesitates not all the time, but on occasion, and only from a stop into first gear. Part of it is probably just getting a feel for how it gears. Coming from an 09 Fit which has a very different box (but oddly started to develop a similar issue). Another thing to consider is that I've had the AC cranked almost every day I've had it, since the weather has been icky sticky here in the NE (man, that was a long Spring -- gonna be a short summer).

I guess you could call it "lag." Again, it's intermittent, but when it happens, yeah, I'll swap the clutch for the gas, and it seem like there's a split second that passes before any _real_ response. It responds, but not like I want it to. I don't think I could get the tires to chirp, for instance.

It would be interesting to get together to compare rides. If I could see a noticeable difference, I'd have something concrete to take to the service dept.

Back