Help with a big decision

Flash5 said:
What kind of price range am I looking at for RB or Magnaflow?

I think for the RB it was under 500 shipped.. like 485 or something? I ordered it directly from Racing Beat.

I have to agree with Zath here as I have the Magnaflow. He is right in the aspect that it drones - but only at higher speeds like 70 mph and above. Also like Zath said, with the radio on you won't really notice. I can vouch for this as I just drove 5+ hours yesterday back to school with the radio on sitting around 72 mph and it was fine. The only time I really noticed it was in between songs. Besides once that baby gets warmed up the sound is amazing (thumb) ! I have had many people compliment the sound too - they said they didn't expect a car like the P5 to sound so manly (first) .

Well, I am married, and my wife is is approving my my exhaust. If it droned, it would probably not be on my car very long. I have had loud cars in the past that droned. I am done with that. :)

magnumP5 said:
I have to agree with Zath here as I have the Magnaflow. He is right in the aspect that it drones - but only at higher speeds like 70 mph and above. Also like Zath said, with the radio on you won't really notice. I can vouch for this as I just drove 5+ hours yesterday back to school with the radio on sitting around 72 mph and it was fine. The only time I really noticed it was in between songs. Besides once that baby gets warmed up the sound is amazing (thumb) ! I have had many people compliment the sound too - they said they didn't expect a car like the P5 to sound so manly (first) .

I love the growl at idle. sounds and feels so nice.

I just put in the RB catback in my car about a week ago. Which is better? well, I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I can tell you that the RB DOES NOT drone at all on the freeway, which is quite increadible. It sounds deep, throaty, made my intake sound nicer, and I feel that the engine is alot more responsive in the higher gears. Not sure how much of a real gain in power, but certainly feels like there was a decent gain in combo with my SRI, especially while shifting higher than second gear.

I'm very happy with it, its still breaking in and sounds louder (was pretty subtle when I first installed it) and nicer everytime I drive. It looks and feels like it belongs on the car, and fitted on like a glove.

I bought it from nsnmotorsports.com for nearly $400 shipped, and came to my door within a week. I highly recomend them and the exhaust. (first)

Good luck in your decision, just my experience. Talking about the exhaust makes me want to drive, I love it.

Lord_Zath said:
I love the growl at idle. sounds and feels so nice.
I love the sound at startup when the engine is already warmed up. I always manage to get a few looks as most people are surprised because I don't have a huge fart-can poking out from under my rear bumper.

aMaff said:
The MS axleback did that too :D. grrrrrrrrrrrr ;)

Yeah at idle with the Ractive header and MS axleback it was a beautiful sound. 6 hours on the highway to travel back home on break from college drowned out any of the fun of that exhaust note. PAINFUL on the highway. The RB with the same header is quite pleasant, quieter I think than the MS axleback with the rest of the exhaust stock.

Our cars might be slow but at least they sound nice.

zverg said:
Yeah at idle with the Ractive header and MS axleback it was a beautiful sound. 6 hours on the highway to travel back home on break from college drowned out any of the fun of that exhaust note. PAINFUL on the highway.
hahaha, yep. I know the feeling.

I have the MSP version of the magnaflow I got from a forum member for $150 shipped.
Look around, deals can be had!

The MSP version is basically just missing the resonator before the muffler. There is some freeway drone, but I do lots of long car trips and it has not seriously bothered me. The gains were definetly noticable with intake and headers.

nealric said:
I have the MSP version of the magnaflow I got from a forum member for $150 shipped.
Look around, deals can be had!
yeah, patience is key. I got my RB for $80 (thumb)

aMaff said:
(cabpatch)(mj)(breakn)(dance)(breakn)(mj) (cabpatch)

lol

I don't care who ya are... dancing smileys are funny

magnumP5 said:
I love the sound at startup when the engine is already warmed up. I always manage to get a few looks as most people are surprised because I don't have a huge fart-can poking out from under my rear bumper.
Two of my favourite things with the magnaflow... nice low, deep tone and growl, and it tucks up nicely under the car. IMHO, the only time - if ever - that you should see any part of the exhaust, other than the tip, is if you have the serious power to back it up. To me, a fully visible exhaust, other than looking like it simply doesn't fit and was a hack job, is very tacky, something you'd expect to find on a ricer's car.

If you mate it to a header, it will get louder, but not obscenely so. It does drone some on the highway at the higher rpm's, but nothing like the MS axleback does - that setup is horrid for drone.

custom axelback drones like a borg cube (for me)

<---looking for a midpipe for help

I love my racing beat exhaust: nice deep throaty growl but not obscenely loud. I'd recommend you go to a meet and listen to the various exhausts from different folks, that'll give you the best idea of the pros and cons, especially since people look for different things in their exhaust.

Back