[HELP] Unfixable Alignment Issue

chienb

:
2010 ms3
Hi All,

I have a '10 MS3 which seems to be having alignment issues after hitting a pothole. The car is drifting to the right and steering wheel off to the left about 1" (more when driving 55mph+) when going straight. Have been having this issue since forever. I've taken it to dealerships to rotate tires, 2x 4-wheel alignment, and forum-recommended garages to do alignments as well. Still no solution...

I also had a flat tire in the rear, driver's side, which I replaced with 2 225/40R-18 Yoko S.drives and had them rotated to the front.

Brought it to 2 different dealerships who cannot find/fix the issue. Caster/camber all checked out good but I think there's toe-in, front right wheel.

Anyone care to shed some light? I'm thinking of having them adjust the tie rods even though the techs told me it wasn't bent. Stock tires (rear) wearing out at 17,000mi might be causing the issue as well?

I just want to sell my car at this point :(

You need to find a new set of techs. I can't help you with that part but if the tie rods, and control arms are not bent then the alignment is off. You need to get under your car and see if the shock is standing straight. Then get under the hood and check to see if where the shock mounts is bent. Also you need to check the frame, cross bars, sway bars, and all the front suspension components. Get a 4 wheel alignment done at a different shop.

Do the alignment after you have checked every component. From the power steering, to the frame, to the suspension.

^^^Sup HM3. FC2(SW) here. Two tours in Iraq. YOU FMFs ARE CRAZY! HA.

As for the suspension components I agree completely. Though it is a lot of work. It will be well worth it. Honestly though if you have had two alignments done, it has to be a bent suspension component. Which sucks. Being in Cali should be a benefit to you. Ask around and see where people go get autocross or HPDE alignments and bring your car there for a suspension inspection. They will be able to tell you if anything is bent better than yourself. And they wont be apt to sell you parts to fix it since they arent a stealership.

I don't get it; you said you got the four-wheel alignment service. They should have given you before and after numbers, and the numbers should be able to speak for themselves. If they are claiming that it is aligned within factor spec and you're still having all these problems, I'd question the competency of the alignment service people, though admittedly an alignment doesn't count for much if you're not doing it with literally brand new 0-mile tires. If they aligned it and said they've done all they can with the adjustable parameters, the final numbers should show the misalignment non-factory specs. I had a similar problem with a Honda Civic I bought from the original owner. They drove it into a ditch, apparently, and it had actually shortened the wheelbase on the right side by 1" (though I didn't know this for years).

Back