Help, think just damaged my dash!!! suction mount

grandeson

Oh boy, new iottie suction mount. Love the mount, but wanted to change position, now there is a nice donut ring spot on the soft touch dash that seems that will be there for quite some time. The ring area, about a 2.5 inch circle 3/8 thick is now a slicker shinier spot. The gel combined with the suction really seemed to mess it up. The cars only about a month old, any ideas how I can bring the soft touch feel back? Please help me, I have enough on my plate already right now, just looking for not another problem, albeit its only a minor cosmetic thing. thanks

I got the same thing.
In time, it'll start turning back to normal, but I can still see it. I haven't spent any time trying to 'fix' it though. I don't really care about it.

FYI, the iottie doesn't work well on our dash. It WILL fall off, it did on mine. I ended up mounting a Garmin GPS adhesive base to the left of the Clock then using the iottie suction on that.

Alright, I just noticed that too after removing my mount (Bracketron MI-T Grip), a nice donut shape on the soft touch dash. Hope it will go away or something to make it not as visible in the future. Not sure what to do.. Oh well....

Here's an example so others can see.
1st pic is of the dimple it leaves, second pic is how I finally mounted my iOttie (using Garmin adhesive disc)

Attachments

• IMG_20140330_155131.jpg
    IMG_20140330_155131.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,553
  • IMG_20140330_155114.jpg
    IMG_20140330_155114.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,783
hey nxt, how long did it take for you to see store improvement? I'm thinking the cleaner and protectant wont make a difference. and since im OCD i have two rings next to each other. lol

hey nxt, how long did it take for you to see store improvement? I'm thinking the cleaner and protectant wont make a difference. and since im OCD i have two rings next to each other. lol

It's been months since I took it off.

I had a circle on my dash when I picked it up. Probably someone's coffee cup in detail dept. Didn't know what to use on that rubber dash so squirted on Windex and that cleaned it well with no problems. I'd try Windex and then carefully try other things; 90% alcohol, goop. That rubber dash could be sensitive to some stuff so its a gamble.

I had a circle on my dash when I picked it up. Probably someone's coffee cup in detail dept. Didn't know what to use on that rubber dash so squirted on Windex and that cleaned it well with no problems. I'd try Windex and then carefully try other things; 90% alcohol, goop. That rubber dash could be sensitive to some stuff so its a gamble.

This thread isn't about a mark that can be wiped off.
It's about a circular indentation that is created when the iOttie cell phone suction mount holder is applied and later on removed.

try to gently massage the area. I know that sounds strange, but I had an indentation elsewhere, and after spending an hour "massaging" the indentation (and the area around it), it went away. Even if that doesn't work, at least you and your CX-5 will be closer (more intimate) afterwards. ;)

You know what...I just had this happen to my brand new 2015 GTI. I was searching the internet for a fix to the same problem. I was looking at the paperwork that came with this POS and it says "To avoid the possibility of marks or harm to select dashboards caused by extended use, place mount on windshield." BUT...it specifically says it can be used on dashboards. Extended use is one thing, lets try an hour's use. I don't think their warning sticker releases them from any liability for damage caused to the car, because there is no "end-user" license/agreement in the paperwork or on the packaging. If this bugs anyone else as much as it bugs me, please contact me at shaun.rewind@gmail.com. A unified front for the replacement of our dash's is probably in order.

Oh boy, new iottie suction mount. Love the mount, but wanted to change position, now there is a nice donut ring spot on the soft touch dash that seems that will be there for quite some time. The ring area, about a 2.5 inch circle 3/8 thick is now a slicker shinier spot. The gel combined with the suction really seemed to mess it up. The cars only about a month old, any ideas how I can bring the soft touch feel back? Please help me, I have enough on my plate already right now, just looking for not another problem, albeit its only a minor cosmetic thing. thanks

I see suction ring marks on the inside of my windshield in a pattern - likely from when they assembled the vehicle and moved the windshield in place via a device with suction cups.

Haven't found the ideal window cleaner yet. Plain water w/vinegar and crumpled newspapers still one of my favorite methods.

Aw man! Same mount, same damage to my dash.
cx-5_dash.jpg

I usually prefer mounting these to the windshield on previous cars, but because of the slope on the CX-5 windshield, the mount ends up either too far away from me, or too high up the window. So I mounted it to the dash, then came across this thread this morning and discovered that ring.

Ah, such an eye sore!

Here's a pic of mine..
kOZQwTP.jpg

Same ottie mount, same damage, same spot! 😤 😬 I think it can be fixed over long term "massaging" the spot. I've been pressing hard with my thumb throughout the entire area to rebound some memory and using my stainless steel contigo coffee mug to roll it also. Best bet is after sitting in hot sun for some hours. Overall I've seen about 70% improvement and hope the rest will come with time. Lesson learned, now be patient and DONT push to hard..

Same problem here with the iottie mount... only after 2 weeks (of owning the CX-5). Has anyone had any issues with dash damage with the double-sticky discs you can mount for regular suction cup mounts? I'm just wondering if it's the compound that the iottie suction cup is made of, the pressure from the suction causing the indent, or just a general adhesive damage issue I'm working with here.

Latest posts

Back