HELP!! Rear doors won't shut!!

Finally happened to us 2 nights ago! We had weird weather first torrential rain, then dropping temps turning everything to ice, along with strong gusts of wind, and snow (on top of that) Next day we can't get one door open, so we leave it - let the kids hop in the other side. We get home after our errands and my husband opens that door to let the kids out then it wouldn't shut. I brought the kids in and when I came out 15 minutes later he was still trying to shut it. I was trying to figure out where to even look and I kept grabbing the door handle and actuating the release button - I guess I did this enough times because when i shut it it stuck.

Rear Door Frozen OPEN

(cheers) Heya

I have a Mazda Tip bulletin for this issue. You can reference M-TIPS.

Water may accumulate and freeze in the latch mechanism for either of the rear side slideing doors. The ice guilduup may interfere with the levers of the latch mechanism, not allowing the sliding doors to latch closed.

Fix

A temporary fix has been developed to address this issue. Basically they remove the sliding door panels and at the latch cover a hole with tape and then with a special grease fill the latch etc etc more stuff. This grease prevents ice build up.

At the end of the day this will temporary fix the issue and a replacement latch is on its way.

I have experienced the freeze and used a hairdryer to move forward then got the above fix done with no issues after.

Cheers
Zoom5Zoom

Thanks. I will enquire about this fix while I'm at Carling Mazda having them look at the FRONT doors (frozen shut twice on days not so very cold). Lock mechanism won't budge manually nor electrically so doors can't be opened. Has anyone had this problem?

(huh)

Zoom5Zoom said:
(cheers) Heya

I have a Mazda Tip bulletin for this issue. You can reference M-TIPS.

Water may accumulate and freeze in the latch mechanism for either of the rear side slideing doors. The ice guilduup may interfere with the levers of the latch mechanism, not allowing the sliding doors to latch closed.

Fix

A temporary fix has been developed to address this issue. Basically they remove the sliding door panels and at the latch cover a hole with tape and then with a special grease fill the latch etc etc more stuff. This grease prevents ice build up.

At the end of the day this will temporary fix the issue and a replacement latch is on its way.

I have experienced the freeze and used a hairdryer to move forward then got the above fix done with no issues after.

Cheers
Zoom5Zoom

Frozen Locks

Fifth Ave

I have noticed this issue with cars on the lot only on GT models (why I don't know). Seemed once the moisture has melted out with CAR heat it seemed fine after that.

If I didn't mention it the fix above is for GS sliding doors only. The GT model have electric closing assist.

The note about the interior lock latch also happened on a GT on our lot, so maybe there is something there eh ..... only in the great white north.

Hope it all works out.

FYI My sliding door froze open even after the grease job so I can't wait also for the latch replacement.

Cheers
Zoom5Zoom
(cheers)

is there a bulletin or something I can bring with me tomorrow (my appointment with service to get my radio options installed and get my inspection sticker and such)? ... because one of my sliders got stuck open a couple times the other night. Is there, or is there going to be, a latch replacement?

Had my GS sliding door Latch Assemblies changed today. We are doing an experiment with my GS version to see if the freeze condition will re appear on a different latch. The greasing of the lock assembly did not help my car much. I will let ya know how things work out. First overnight cold shift seems OK so far.

I can say there is a new redesigned latch coming but it is not this one. I have a different fix for the time being...... as mentioned more to follow. Who knows my fix may not fix issue (but I know it will). :)

Any fix yet?

Hey Zoom5Zoom, have you heard any more on a fix for the door latch. I posted a similar problem earlier this year, dealer did the service bulletin but lock still froze while on ski trip to Vermont in March. I ask the dealer each time I'm in if anything is coming and nothing yet. Was in today for 24K service ($130.34 with tax) still nothing and I'm wondering whether to contact Mazda direct.

Back